Management Software

Occasional Contributor

BNA: VDX Connection / L2 Topology View

Hi

we have a fresh installed BNA running and the most things looks good. We currently have problem to see the L2 connection of some VDX switches (running FW 4.x) that not displayed in the L2 Topolgy view. The devices shown only as single device with no L2 connection to any other switch.

When we connect by SSH to a connected Switch of the VDX (like ICX, FCX...) and have a look on the LLDP neighbours we see the devices but the BNA dont show the connection - is there any "trick" or configuration items that we have to change so we can see the link?

Thanks for your assistance

Joerg

External Moderator

Re: BNA: VDX Connection / L2 Topology View

@j.frenker

what is the BNA Version / License ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

BNA Version 14.0.1 Build 170

Licence: Full, 100 IP Devices

Edit / Add:

For a better example, see the attached Picture

External Moderator

are you in range with Supported NOS Devices accordly BNA Release Notes ?

RN is attached.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Yes, we running 4.1.3 on that devices that have the "problem" (6740 & 6710)

External Moderator

show as the connectivity from both VCS fabric switches you have marked in Red, somewhat is not set correct to other switch.

is the core switch I've circled in you draft VDX ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

No, the Core / primary Routers are FCX648S (with a L3 Image) - that is the next "hop" for the VDX conneced with 1 x 10Gb SFP+ 

Hmm i will check the cabled connection at first i think, the MAC table show me currently some other connection on the ports what LLDP shows - im a but confused currently Smiley Happy

External Moderator

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the link, but we don't have any L2/L3 issue that works all fine Smiley Happy. SNMP Works fine too and the performance is also good.

We currently only have the "problem" that links between the VDX6710 <-> FCX648S is not shown in the L2 Topology map, it seems to be a problem of LLDP (i think BNA use it to dectect the uplinks), i have advertise and enable every LLDP feature on the FCX but nothings happens.

In our 2nd Datacenter is the same config - FCX uplink to a VDX6720 - that link is displayed in L2 topology view - only this 2 switched wont display the link - i have checked a hour ago if the connection is realy connected between the switches - yes the cables are plugged in the indicator is flashing normal like every other port.

Edit/add:

See attached Image, the result of "show lldp neighbour" of the FCX (left side) and the VDX (right side)

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edited.

Please see attached pictures, the LLDP Neighbour shows exactly how it is connected, but the BNA dont shows up that connection. I don't know why it is not shown in the BNA Software.

I have some other devices that show correct values when i have a look into the LLDP Discovery but the BNA don't show up that links (some Dell Devices and a RFS6000 Controller and the Accesspoints - on all devices you can see the other one when you a look into the LLDP discovery).

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.