Management Software

Contributor

BNA 11.2.1 getting error when try to connect to element manager

We are running BNA 11.2.1, and have java 1.6.0_45 on my system.  After upgrading the java, to supported levels for security issues, I'm now getting this pop-up, when I try to bring up the element manager for any of our brocade switches/directors:

Is there an update to BNA that corrects this handling?  Or some other configuration item that needs to be set?

Thanks,

Peterbna

Frequent Contributor

Re: BNA 11.2.1 getting error when try to connect to element manager

Are you getting this for all Brocade devices ? IP and SAN devices ?

Assuming you were not running into this issue before the Java upgrade? Can you please confirm .

Thanks,

-Annie.

Contributor

Annie,

FYI, we are a SAN only implementation.

Yes I am having this problem with all of our brocade devices.

It was working just fine, before the updates.

Peter

Frequent Contributor

Peter , Can you share the Java version you were on before the update to 1.6.0_45 ?

-Annie.

Contributor

I don't remember the 1.6 version I had before, but I know that I had 1.7 installed and it was working fine with 1.7.0_17, but failed after the next update of 1.7, which might have been 1.7.0_21.

Peter

Contributor

Annie,

Looking at the latest release notes (changelog) for Java 1.6.0_45 and 1.7.0_25, they have this block of documentation in it, that matches exactly the result I am getting.

Changes to Runtime.exec

On Windows platform, the decoding of command strings specified to Runtime.exec(String), Runtime.exec(String,String[]) and Runtime.exec(String,String[],File) methods, has been improved to follow the specification more closely. This may cause problems for applications that are using one or more of these methods with commands that contain spaces in the program name, or are invoking these methods with commands that are not quoted correctly.

For example, Runtime.getRuntime().exec("C:\\My Programs\\foo.exe bar") is an attempt to launch the program "C:\\My" with the arguments "Programs\\foo.exe" and "bar". This command is likely to fail with an exception to indicate "C:\My" cannot be found.

The example Runtime.getRuntime().exec("\"C:\\My Programs\\foo.exe\" bar") is an attempt to launch the program "\"C:\\My". This command will fail with an exception to indicate the program has an embedded quote.

Applications that need to launch programs with spaces in the program name should consider using the variants of Runtime.exec that allow the command and arguments to be specified in an array.

Alternatively, the preferred way to create operating systems processes since JDK 5.0 is using java.lang.ProcessBuilder. The ProcessBuilder class has a much more complete API for setting the environment, working directory and redirecting streams for the process.

Frequent Contributor

Peter ,

Where exactly did you find the above ( Changes to runtime.exe  )  ? I am unable to find it in any release notes .

Did you see the following important SAN note in the release notes for 12.0.2 ?

Launch Element Manager for Fabric OS devices from within client

If you are using HTTPS for product communication (server > options > Product communication > HTTPS (HTTP over SSL) option) is selected, sometimes the Element Manager launch will fail with InvalidKeyException certification error. This is an issue with JRE 1.7u7 and has been fixed JRE 1.7u12. Use the following workaround to fix this issue

Open the Java Control Panel and go to System Preferences > Other > Java > Advanced > "Enable online certificate validation"

Note: This is applicable for Remote BNA client launch as well.

Thanks,

-Annie.

Contributor

Annie,

In the release notes for u21 of 1.7.0.

I searched and found them here: Java SE 7 Update Release Notes

look in update 21 the section talking about runtime.exec.

Peter

New Contributor

I am having the exact same issue and am now unable to manage the SAN properly. Has a fix or workaround for BNA been found?

Thank You.

Contributor

Marc,

If you can, backlevel your java to 1.7.0_17 (if you're on 1.7).  I've had a case open with Brocade and they are in testing with new level of 11.2 that will support 1.7.0_25.  I know that 1.7.0_21 broke the element manager connection part, but update 25 completely breaks BNA so that i could not even login to it.  I know that 1.6.0_45 breaks BNA also, but do not remember what level of 1.6 first caused the problems.

Peter

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.