Mainframe Solutions

PREVIEW: SHARE Orlando 2015 and Brocade

by Dr.Steve.Guendert on ‎08-06-2015 12:00 PM (3,980 Views)

SHARE Inc. is a volunteer-run user group for IBM mainframe computers that was founded in 1955 by Los Angeles-area IBM 701 users. It evolved into a forum for exchanging technical information about programming languages, operating systems, database systems, and user experiences for enterprise users of IBM computers.

At next week’s 125th SHARE Conference in Orlando there promises to be a lot of great educational content delivered and here are a few of the topics I am specifically looking forward to discussing:

• End-to-End 16Gbps FICON discussions and sessions. This is the first SHARE conference following the May IBM DS8870 set of announcements. 16Gbps end-to-end FICON from z13 to the DASD array is now reality. It will be interesting to attend the educational sessions on this topic, as well as talk with end users who may be on the early wave of implementing 16Gbps end-to-end FICON architectures.
  • Sessions and discussion around the new FICON enhancements. It has been 6 months since the IBM z13 announcement when FICON Express 16S, and several new evolutionary FICON enhancements were also announced. Many of these enhancements, such as Forward Error Correction (FEC), FICON Dynamic Routing, and SAN Fabric I/O Priority, were slated to be GA in September 2015. I expect IBM to offer several sessions updating attendees on these enhancements.
  • Z13 implementation sessions from end-users. My favorite sessions are always the ones on real life experiences.

I also expect that there will be some good discussions on the mainframe as a cloud computing platform as well as the impact of mobile device based computing. In my opinion, formulated from discussions with our customers worldwide, the impact of mobile device based computing is even greater than expected. This is especially true for the financials industry. As smart phone banking apps continue to proliferate, the volume of transactions being generated by them is increasing exponentially. I am really curious to hear what is being done by IBM in Africa. Sub Saharan Africa’s banking industry does not really have the traditional ATM machine and bank branch office system that is so common elsewhere in the world. They are moving from a cash and barter society to a banking system run solely on smartphones. This high volume of transactions on the “front end” of the mainframe is driving more I/O on the “back end” to the storage devices and over replication networks. The FICON storage network is more critical than ever.

Brocade and SHARE Orlando 2015

Brocade has a long, rich tradition of supporting and actively participating in SHARE. Giving educational presentations at the conference is the most important part of our involvement at SHARE and Brocade's very own David Lytle has been recognized at multiple SHARE conferences with the "Best Vendor Presentation" award.

Below are details on the three sessions Dave will be delivering at SHARE Orlando:

Session 17505: The Inner Workings and Hidden Mechanisms of z13 FICON Performance - Part 1

Monday, August 10, 2015: 10:00 AM-11:00 AM, Oceanic 3 (Walt Disney World Dolphin)

Session 17506: A deeper look into the Inner Workings and Hidden Mechanisms of z13 FICON Performance - Part 2

Monday, August 10, 2015: 11:15 AM-12:15 PM, Oceanic 3 (Walt Disney World Dolphin)

Session 17503: z13 and Brocade – Resilient, Intelligent and Synergistic I/O Processing

Wednesday, August 12, 2015: 4:30 PM-5:30 PM, Oceanic 3 (Walt Disney World Dolphin)

Conclusion

It promises to be a great week at SHARE Orlando and I’m excited to be actively participating in SHARE. I look forward to seeing you in sunny Orlando!