Fibre Channel (SAN)

Valued Contributor
felipon

what is the meaning of er_other_discard counter in portstatsshow?

Hi all,

According to Brocade CLI Ref guide, er_other_discard counter reports the following:

er_other_discard   -   The number of other discarded due to route lookup failures or other reasons.

But to be honest, I don't really understand the meaining fo this definition.... Is this counter increased in Rx or in Tx?

Does anyone one know how to interpret these counter when seeing in an ISL, or if it is increased in a F-port?

er_other_discard     3           Other discards

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Rgds,

Felipon

Valued Contributor
felipon

Re: what is the meaning of er_other_discard counter in portstatsshow?

anyone?

T  T

Contributor
sebastian.thaele

Re: what is the meaning of er_other_discard counter in portstatsshow?

Most of the time I see it increasing on the ingress port when frames cannot be delivered, because the destination device is unavailable. (e.g. frames on the fly while the destination device goes away). So the counter wouldn't point to the port that goes away but to the port the traffic is coming from. But beside of that common reason, er_other_discard can count up for various other reasons (for example frame routing problems), as it's a "collective-counter". I would first check if ports went offline in fabriclog -s.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.