Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

upgrading mcdata switches From 09.09.03.2 & 09.09.06.2 To 09.09.08

Hi All,

Am looking to upgrade SAN mcdata's switches From versions 09.09.03 2 & 09.09.06 2 To  version 09.09.08,  can you please point me to docs i can follow to do this upgrade. Am assuming their should be a best practice step by step guide to follow to do this upgrade ..

Thanks!

External Moderator

Re: upgrading mcdata switches From 09.09.03.2 & 09.09.06.2 To 09.09.08

Login to the switch as Administrator and do a Firmware upgrade

That all.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

thanks for the quick response techhelp24.  I have not done a firmware upgrade on a mcdata switch before  that was why i requested if a
step by step  guide is available on the brocade site.

I have some questions I listed below :

Can the upgrade be done without any impact to the hosts connected to the switches ?

How and where do I stage the FW so it can be accessed by the switch during the upgrade ?

Also I looked at the brocade FW download page  ,but I dont see a FW version 9.9.8 ( see below) , is that version GA yet ?

- M-EOSc 9.9.x
+ M-EOSc 9.9.6 GA
+ M-EOSc 9.9.5 GA

is the command "firmware install" all I need to run for the upgrade when I logon to the switch  ?

Do I need to  backup  the switch  information ( i.e config backup) before the upgrade ?

Am hoping there is a  brocade best practice pdf guide that has all these answers and more !

Thanks!

External Moderator

--->>> How and where do I stage the FW so it can be accessed by the switch during the upgrade ?

A simple way is, connect truogh the Basic EFCM at http://switch_ip_address the FW upgrade work online in a couple of minute.

About,

--->>>> Can the upgrade be done without any impact to the hosts connected to the switches ?

From Release Notes , the same is available for release 9.9.8 and 9.9.9

Upgrading to M-EOS v9.9.6 is non-disruptive for attached devices. Limitations to upgrades or downgrades are clearly identified to the user if there are any limitations in performing the operation.

--->>> Do I need to  backup  the switch  information ( i.e config backup) before the upgrade ?

Before upgrading or downgrading firmware, it is highly recommended that you back up the switch or director configuration in case of a failure.

--->>> Am hoping there is a  brocade best practice pdf guide that has all these answers and more !

Is unknow to me any such best practice guide, as mentioned above all this is descripted as well in the Release Notes.

Generally, if you have never made FW Upgrade in the past, should planned a Maintenance Window before take FW Upgrade.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.