Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

setting up flows for Cisco UCS

Morning everyone.  I have a question about setiing up flows for ESX server.  In Cisco UCS with 1 fi,  I can have as many host behind that fi I want.  When i'm setting up flows,  I notice, that I get an error stating too many flows monitoring the same set of traffic.  Any Ideas?

External Moderator

Re: setting up flows for Cisco UCS

Michael,

--->>> I have a question about setiing up flows for ESX server.  In Cisco UCS with 1 fi,...

this is a Brocade Forum.

you question is related to Cisco and not related to Brocade Plattforms.

you shold post such question in cisco forum.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hey Antonio.  I was asking if there was any type of limitation in BNA for setting up flows where cisco ucs fi were concerened that you would know of. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

External Moderator

-->>...in BNA for setting up flows...Sorry if I wasn't clear.

indeed, the question was a bit confused.

I'm not sure, but I think Cisco UCS is in BNA not supported.

If I'm wrong, please ignore my post.

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Michael,

What is the BNA Version you are using ?

If i understood your question, you are trying to configure individual flow monitor for each N Port that comes from the Cisco Thing. Ist that right?

I haven't faced this limitation in flow monitor setup. What the BNA user guide or flow monitor manuals says about that ? I'll look for the answer and post here in case you did not find it first.

[EDIT] - Look at page 1259 in BNA San user manual (my is for the version 12.4):

Number of supported flows
On chassis-based platforms, Flow Vision supports a maximum of 512 user-defined flows. On
fixed-port platforms, Flow Vision supports a maximum of 128 user-defined flows. However, there is
a combined limit from all features of 64 flows (including static flows, root flows, and sub-flows,
whether active or inactive) for any one port. In addition, there are individual limits for each Flow
Vision feature; Table 27 lists these limits. When you create a flow, Flow Vision verifies that there is
no identical active flow.

Refer to the individual features for feature-specific restrictions.
TABLE 27
Feature-specific flow count restrictions in Flow Vision
Feature                 Limit to number of flows
Flow Monitor          Up to 64 active flows per port, including static flows, root flows, and sub-flows.
Flow Generator      Up to 4 active flows per port, including static flows, root flows, and sub-flows.
Flow Mirror             One active flow per switch

[/EDIT]

Just an observation: CISCO UCS's fi port act like any ordinary FC access gateway, providing access  from its internal ports by translating them to N-Ports under the physical fi Port. So there is no magic here, you must consider Resiliency and Bandwidth over subscription in your connections to avoid performance problems and to have failover options in case of a physical componet going bad.

Occasional Contributor

Hello anovelli.  The version od BNA IS 12.4.1.  You are correct in your statement .  I'm looking through the doc myself.  I haven't found anywhere where it states I can't do what I'm trying to accomplish.  Your observation is well noted.  Thank you!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Hello michael!

You wer faster than me and answered me first, but take a look on my EDIT section in previous post. There is a limitantion in the number of flows you can configure. Hope it Helps you

Occasional Contributor

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you sir!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frequent Contributor

That's a great news!

Wish you success there.

Occasional Contributor

I'll let you know what I found out.  I appreciate you taking the time to understand what I was asking for.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.