Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

returned 768 ...ftp failed for configupload

Hi

I am trying to do a configupload ... at some point in the past this did work, now I get the following:

returned 768

configUpload not permitted (ftp failed). Transfer failed.

I am able to use the same acct from the same switch and this works fine for ftp'ing a supportsave.

When I try the configupload it will not wirk from any of our switches now.

Thoughts/suggestions?

thank you

Stephen

Super Contributor

Re: returned 768 ...ftp failed for configupload

Hi Stephen,

can you please post some more details (session output and errdumps)?

I use configupload since FOS 4.4.x and it works fine. When I have issues in this area, it is mostly a FTP server or Firewall issue.

There are two modes for the FTP protocol. Active and passive mode. If you have an Firewall between both devices (Switch and FTP server) make sure that the needed ports are open. Ask your firewall admin if everything is fine.

I don't know if supportsave and configupload works with the same FPT protocol type. Make sure that both types are supported by your FTP server.

Please check if your FTP server allows the user account to write data into the given share. Sometimes the homedirectory of the user is wrong configured on the FTP server.

Please check if you use the same ftp directory for supportsave and configupload if not check the FTP server logs for any access deny messages.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for responding.

This case is kind of weird.

This used to work from all of our switches no matter what model, FOS or location

Now it doesn’t matter which switch I try from it will not work, 48k, 5300, 3900 etc. (yes, we do have a variety)

Also doing an FTP of a supportsave works fine from all switches.

Trying to ftp the configupload we use the same FTP server (host) and the same credentials… also the same as when it previously worked.

So I know we can ftp and have rights to based on these

Here is the output: … of course I put in generic domain\user but the same output is true for the acct we use (this is also the same acct that works for supportsaves)…

nc2paswtch12:FID128:admin> configupload

Protocol (scp, ftp, local) : ftp

Server Name or IP Address : 10.64.52.162

User Name : domain\user

File Name : nc1pastore01_storageteam/Brocade

Section (all|chassis|FID# ): all

Password:

/bin/ncftpput -t 60 -u "domain\user" -p "********" "10.64.52.162" "nc1pastore01_storageteam" "/tmp/Brocade" > /dev/null 2>&1: No such file or director

y

configUploadMainWork: system(/bin/ncftpput -t 60 -u "domain\user" -p "********" "10.64.52.162" "nc1pastore01_storageteam" "/tmp/Brocade" > /dev/null 2

>&1) returned 256

configUpload not permitted (ftp failed). Could not connect to remote host.

nc2paswtch12:FID128:admin>

Would DCFM interfere at all with this?

Super Contributor

Hi,

you write this:

configUpload not permitted (ftp failed). Could not connect to remote host.

This is an indication that you have an issue with your FTP server.

Are you using VF?

If so make sure that your account is able to manage all logical switches and the chassis too.

Do you have in the errlog some more messages?

Did you have checked your FTP server? Is the server active and passiv FTP aware (which includes the firewalls)?

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

our ftp guy is saying that it isn't the ftp server ... he says since we do supportsaves with

the same credentials to the same host and same location.

But I will ask him again and also see if there are errorlogs that can be checked.

Would DCFM interfer with this at all?

I think a former employee used DCFM to ftp config's ... didn't know if this made any difference or not or of this is looking in the wrong place

Occasional Contributor

This has been resolved .... you have to put the file name on the end .... /configName.txt.

This is different from supportsave in that you only put the path for the supportsave

thanks for listening and attempting to help

New Contributor

I am having this EXACT same issue.   I did not understand your final "fix".

Here is my attempt. 

NFK_SW_0:admin> configupload
Protocol (scp, ftp, local) :
Server Name or IP Address : 128.1.200.109
User Name : myftp
File Name : /sw0config
Password:
configUpload not permitted (ftp failed). Transfer failed.
NFK_SW_0:admin>

Thanks in advance.

ler

N/A

I had same error and found it was that my user password had first character as a special character "$" which Brocade shell command 'configupload' does not like. I changed my user password to have a alpha character that was a lower case letter and whalla, it works! Hope this helps!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.