Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

"NS or NSCAM is not up yet" message

Hi !

Occasional Contributor

Re: "NS or NSCAM is not up yet" message

Addition from Dec. 2005I finally solved the problem by arranging half an hour outage in that SAN (exclusivelly used for tape backup) during which I switched interop mode back to native (was no longer necesary since the old 2800 were upgraded to a 3900). I put in place new zoning (it is lost when changing interop mode) after which did the upgrade to 3.2.0a. All was fine afterwards and did not get anymore the "Assertion Failed" message. It looks like loop devices in 3.2.x versions and UP and when interop mode is ON do not allow the switch to start properly. I could not see any known bug listing this problem, nor and official statement that support for loop devices was dropped in 3.2.x for interop mode on. I've asked the HP engineer to open a bug procedure with Brocade, but nothing was done.

Frequent Contributor

why were you using interop mode?

Occasional Contributor

The original design included 2 Brocade 2800 and 2 Brocade 3800 switches with the 2 3800 switches connected to DWDM at a distance of about 10 KM and the 2 2800 as edge switches, one in each location. After a while, a 3900 was purchased and installed in location 1, the 3800 there was moved to location 2 replacing the 2800 edgeswitch there and both 2800 were decomissioned. This design was made by my predecesor and, while I'm not very familiar with 2800, I asume he either activated interop mode by mistake or because the presence of 2800 required to. When I inherited the fabric, I did not disabled immediatelly interop mode, because I wanted to avoid downtime and doing again all zoning (zoning format is not compatible in interop mode enabled with the zoning with interop mode disabled. I had to do it almost a year later, as this was the only way to achieve a succesfull Brocade OS upgrade on a 3800.

Frequent Contributor

It is interesting that you were ever in interop mode since it is used to interop with mcdata. You lose a lot of functionality being in interop mode

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.