Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

new 6510 - installed with 7.0.2c firmware, can I upgrade directly to latest 7.4.0a version?

I just installed and configured 2 new 6510 brocade switches. The installed firmware on them is 7.0.2c and the lates fimware version is 7.4.0a. Can I upgrade the firmware version directly from 7.0.2c to 7.4.0a? My 6510's are ISL'd to my other brocades so zoning is present on the new 6510's.

If I can upgrade from 7.0.2c to 7.4.0a disruptively, what would this disrupt? Just the 6510 Brocades? I need to ensure my other brocades that are ISL'ed to it will not be effected.

Thank you!

Valued Contributor

Re: new 6510 - installed with 7.0.2c firmware, can I upgrade directly to latest 7.4.0a version?

I must admit I've never done any disruptive upgrade in my life, so what I'm saying here is just what I think should happen. I hope that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I understand, switch ASIC will be reset during dusruptive upgrade. This will lead to the ISL(s) going offline/online and will result in fabric rebuild(s). The same way it happened when you plugged your new switch into the existing SAN. Depending on the hosts and storage devices connected, also depending on the intensivity and kind of FC traffic currently ongoing in the SAN, a rebuild might or might not lead to noticeable issues on the hosts. Starting from slight I/O timeouts and up to tape backup session failures.

So, if you didn't notice anything wrong when you plugged your new switch in the SAN, there's a high chance that you will not notice anything during the disruptive upgrade. But anyway, I'd disable the ISL ports looking at the switch being upgraded this way just before the procedure.

Valued Contributor

Re: new 6510 - installed with 7.0.2c firmware, can I upgrade directly to latest 7.4.0a version?

[ Edited ]

Please also carefully read the release notes:

Disruptive upgrades to Fabric OS v7.4.0a are allowed and supported from FOS v7.2.x (up to a two-level migration) using the optional “-s” parameter with the firmwaredownload command.

Disruptive upgrades to Fabric OS v7.2.1e are allowed and supported from FOS v7.0.x (up to a two-level migration) using the optional “-s” parameter with the firmwaredownload command.

So your options are in fact: either "dual" disruptive upgrade or "four step" nondisruptive upgrade.

Contributor

Thanks Alexey! I think I'm going to play it safe and just do a "four step" nondisruptive upgrade upgrading from 7.02c --> 7.1.1b --> 7.2.1a --> 7.3.0 --> 7.4.0a

since I plan to do this during the work day, I am also going to disable the ISL Port just to be safe. This is the only cable plugged into both new switches.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.