Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

load balancing over ifls with trunking not working on brocade 6510

[ Edited ]

Hi,

we have two 6510 SAN Multiprotocol routers connected via a DWDM equipment and on both systems there are 2 ports in a trunk.

When I look at the port performance one trunk port has about 95 % of the traffic and the other just 5.

There is no "shortest IFL feature" enabled.

mprwi1:root> fcrconfigure --show
Backbone fabric ID: 122
Shortest IFL feature is disabled.
No fabric id alias configured.

So why there is no load balancing between thes two ports ?

We don't use any "fcrrouterportcost" configuration so we expect the defaults being used.

Alfons

Brocade Moderator

Re: load balancing over ifls with trunking not working on brocade 6910

Hi Alfons,

if the two IFLs are trunked together (islshow displays them as one link), then it is using the same trunking algorithm as for ISLs. Which means that the one member of the trunk is used to transmitt frames (data), and if the trunk needs to transmitt out more frames at the same time or shortly, so the first trunk is "busy", then the next member of the trunk is used. So, you will see one link more utilitied than the other, and that is normal.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
External Moderator

alfons.warschburger@yahoo.com

-->>we have two 6910 SAN Multiprotocol routers....

did you mean perhaps Brocade 6510 with IR License = ( Integrated Routing ) or Brocade 78xx Platforms Series ?

there is no Brocade "6910" Multiprotocol Router

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi Antonio,

ok, I mistyped the numerbs . We have 2 6510 boxes.

Now for me it is clear what is going on in my trunks.

Thx a lot

Alfons

External Moderator

Re: load balancing over ifls with trunking not working on brocade 6510

thanks fo clarifying.

to help other user that looking for similar solution and make easy to find, I've edited the Switch name in the Threads.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.