Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

interconecting brocades

Hello all

we are in the process of migrating one data center to new hardware .

in the old datacenter we have 2 brocades and 6 esxi servers with VNX 5300

the new datacenter has 2 new 6505 brocades and 4 esxi servers with VNX5400

the old and the new are in the same place ,old rack near the new rack

my question is :

we would like to connect the old brocades to the new brocades so that the old servers can see the new storage so we can migrate vms to it

how can i connect the two sets of brocade so that old can see the new ?

do i need to add storage SP to the old brocade zones ?

Occasional Contributor

Re: interconecting brocades

Hello!

At first you need to ensure that all settings are appropriate on switches to interconnect them. This means the same timeout values (E_D_TOV, R_A_TOV etc), the unique domain IDs for switches in one fabric (especially if you use insistent domain IDs), the correct SCC_POLICYs if any and so on. Also you need to either manualy merge zoning DBs from two fabrics (BNA could help) or to clear it in one of the fabrics. Make sure that defzone setting is the same among two fabrics. Otherwise you will get switches segmented from each other.

And of course if you using zoning then you need to create zones in order to devices be able see each other. The best way is to create separate new zones rather than adding members to old ones.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

thank you  yuri   for your help

just to be clear we only need to connect the two fabrics in order to migrate vms - once done the old fabric will go down

we do not need for the two to work toghether -  will the new zones that contain old_server_wwn + old_SP +new SP  ? VNX be sufficent ? to migrate ? 

do i need to connect  one of the NEW VNX 5400 SP to the old brocade and make a new zone that contain old_server wwn + old SP +new SP  ?

Occasional Contributor

zones are distributed among switches in fabric. You don't need the all-to-all connectivity. devices could talk via several hops. 

Occasional Contributor

Hi yury

thanks for your answer .

can you give me an example on how you would do the connection ?

it is a bit unclear to me you said several hops what do you meen by this ?

Occasional Contributor

I mean you could connect any device to any switch in the fabric. Host and Storage are not need to be connected to the same switch. For example if you have 5 switches in a daisy chain topology and host and array are on the opposite sides then frames will go thru 4 hops. 

Occasional Contributor

Hi Shaya,

As Yury mentioned you can connect the new switch to existing to make the fabric/Zone DB merge.

You have few options for your tech refresh, as it involves Storage/ brocade switch and host.

Connecting switch  together and merge will help you  share the device access and help to do the storage migration completely online.

old sw1--> new sw1   ( one fabric)

ols sw2 --> new sw2 ( redundant fabric)

-Connect New Hosts HBAs and  New Storage Ports on New Switches

- To do svmotion you may need new storage to  access existing hosts to make a shared storage, in this case you can create  separate zones 

Example: old_host_hba + New Storage Ports ( connected to new Brocade)

So once you migrate the storage to new array, and then you may have to look for hosts  migration to new hosts  and subsequent zoning ( Zone : new_host_hba +  new storage ports )

once all server and storage migrated and you can delete the zones with old_host_hbas and only keep the new_host_hba and New_storage ports. As both are already connected new servers and new storage  to new switches , you can disable the ISL link and decommision the old switches while keep running the new infra.

+++

I think there are even options to migrate ESX with non-shared storage, but it all depends on what strategy and versions  compatibility you use..

Regards

Sushanth

Occasional Contributor

thank you for you profesional explenetion

just to be clear what do you mean by merge?

in the new switches i have zones configured -

in the old switch a diffrent set of zones

if i connect a link between the swithes where do i have to make zone changes ? old and new ?

when i link them toghter al wwn are visible?

Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately you cannot form the fabric with switches that have different zoning configs. You need to clear config on at least one switch and then it will get config from another. Also don't forget about defzone setting. It must be the same on both switches.

Hope it helps. 

Occasional Contributor

thanks for your help

i dont get it is merging the only way ?

i just need to migrate the vms out of the old storage - cant i just connect one new SP to the old brocade and vice versa ?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.