Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

how to sync time on subordinate switches with principle switch

Hi Experts

I have 2 questions/queries below : 

1. I just found out that our principle switch doesnot have same time with other subordinate switches means its not in sync.

I need to know procedure about how to sync or set time on all subordinate switches to sync with principle switch without any disruptions to I/Os & San traffic  ?

2. I am looking for a tool/software which can tell us which brocade ports are currently free and can be used ?  Do we any brocade tool which can generate free switch port report ?

Please help..

Regards

Vikas  

Valued Contributor

Re: how to sync time on subordinate switches with principle switch

Hi,

1. From what I know, Subordinate switches should normally be in sync with Principal switch. Even if you declare NTP settings on all switches, only Principal will query NTP server. All other switches will use their Primary as a time source. If you have some structured time difference (like exactly X hours, or X hours and 30 minutes) - do you have correct TZ settings on all your switches?

2. Have you tried "switchshow"?

Regards

Occasional Contributor

Hi Alex

Thanks for the reponse

1. We dont have correct TZ settings on all switches .. so what steps i have to follow to fix this ?

2. I know how to check the ports from CLI command, what I was looking for is if there is any external brocade recommended tool/software that can generate free switch port report.

Regular Contributor

Hi Vikas,

on each switch perform the tstimezone command to set the correct zone.

If you have an active NTP-Server you can set this server with the tsclockserver command on any switch.

As Alex stated before, only principal switch will connect to the NTP-Server and then distribute the time to all other switches.

SAN Health is a free Tool from Brocade to document and analyze your fabric.

You can donload it from the Brocade Website.

Regards Ralf

Kind Regards
Ralf

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.