Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

hba best practices

When i have on server with two hba dual each.  What is the best practice abou connecting in two fabrics Brocades ?

Do i have to connect on the same hba ( dual port)  in differents fabrics ?

or

Do i have to connect one port of each hba in  differents  fabrics ?

What is the best practices about connectivity , high aviability ,   compatibility and hba operation and functionality ?

Valued Contributor

Re: hba best practices

What you usually see, is one dual ported HBA connected to two redundant fabrics.

However if you have two dual ported HBA, you could take only one port per HBA and connect those to different fabrics,

Or you could connect both ports of each HBA to different fabrics and do the same for the second card.

You can interconnect the HBA's and fabric in every thinkable way as you see fit.

New Contributor

Ok Dion  Thanks for your answer .

But I need to know what is the best practice to connect it .  IhI had two hba in two differents models for example .

Valued Contributor

Brocade's own best practice despicts redundant HBA's on pag 11

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/best_practice_guides/san-design-best-practices.pdf

As you have dual "dual ported" HBA's, you can make additional connections so each HBA connect to two fabrics, giving you the highest resilience on the physical plain.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.