Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

fos v6.4.3 demands different portnames?

We have upgraded an silkworm 4100 switch to fos v6.4.3 following the upgrade path.

The old fos we used supported duplicate portnames, also the new ones ( 6510, fos v7.1.0a ) allow duplicate port names.

So we used it to label an unused port with "---Unused---"

Fos v6.4.3 however doesnt allow it, or is there some setting i have missed to change the portname policy. The Strange thing however is actually there are duplicate port names (configured prior to the fos update) but once i change them i cant change the name to the old (duplicate) name.

admin> portname 10-15
port 10: ---Unused---
port 11: ---Unused---
port 12: ---Unused---
port 13: ---Unused---
port 14: ---Unused---
port 15: ---Unused---
admin>
admin> portname 12 -n "test"
admin> portname 12 -n "---Unused---"
Invalid port name, Duplicate
admin> portname 10-15
port 10: ---Unused---
port 11: ---Unused---
port 12: test
port 13: ---Unused---
port 14: ---Unused---
port 15: ---Unused---
admin>

External Moderator

Re: fos v6.4.3 demands different portnames?

I would suggest to set the port in default mode

use the command "portdisable" -> "portcfgdefault" -> "portenable" and then try again to assign portname.

let me know if the problem persist

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I followed this advice, but it didnt work out. I also tried a configdefault and a reboot but all without success.

Occasional Contributor

After downgrading 6.4.3e -> 6.3.2d-> 6.2.2f Iam now able to use duplicate portnames again.

Interestingly I couldnt find anything in any fos releaselog between 6.2.2f --> mentioning a policy change.

The command however in fos 6.3.2 and 6.4.3e changed the syntax slightly and added the feature to rename multiple portsnames by using indexes but this feature is more or less useless if it doesnt allow duplicates.

However maybe its just device specific and doesnt occur on other models by opening the "portcmd" in a bin editor I can find the encoded error String "Invalid port name, Duplicate" in those two fos versions.

Im still not sure if this is a feature or a bug, Is there some more detailed release or changelog containing all fos changes ?

Occasional Contributor

The final solution was to disable fmsmode ( no idea why it turned on after upgrading)

Now it allows duplicate portnames on fos 6.4.3.e

External Moderator

fmsmode is a FICON feature and forced disable by default. fmsmode must be set enable manually when the switch is in a FICON environment.

is most probable you have set enable accidental, but this is quite sure not a Bug or Defect in FOS code.

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

As always it would be handy to post all parameters here to prevent people from chasing ghosts. Ficon/FMS and FIPS all require different options and setting and have to abide by different rules.

Kind regards,
Erwin van Londen
Brocade Distinguished Architect
http://www.erwinvanlonden.net The Fibre Channel blog

External Moderator

Erwin,

you are right, however I'm the opinion user where not have a FICON Environments should not game with FICON Command.

In this case, I've not the impression the user is in a FICON Environment.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.