Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

fabricshow shows incorrect switch ethernet IP Address ?

When I do a fabricshow on one of our fabrics it shows two of the switches with an incorrect 'Enet IP Addr' ?   If I log onto one of the switches using the IP address it has actually been assigned then I can login fine and a 'ipaddrshow' shows the correct IP address.

Can anyone explain why the IP may be showing incorrectly in the fabricshow ?

PS. I have only recently taken over management of this fabric so I have limited knowledge of what has been done to the fabric in the past.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Valued Contributor

Re: fabricshow shows incorrect switch ethernet IP Address ?

Could you post some more info like fabricshow, ipaddrshow on the switches in question?

Occasional Contributor

Hi Dion,

Additional info below:

fabricshow on core01 (exactly the same on sw02):

Switch ID   Worldwide Name           Enet IP Addr    FC IP Addr      Name

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: fffc01 10:00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:63 xxx.xx.100.160  0.0.0.0        >"xxx-xxxx-core01"

2: fffc02 10:00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:36 xxx.xx.100.4    0.0.0.0         "xxx-xxxx-sw01"

3: fffc03 10:00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:ca xxx.xx.100.25   0.0.0.0         "xxx-xxxx-sw02"

4: fffc04 10:00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:02 xxx.xx.100.47   0.0.0.0         "xxx-xxxx-sw03"

5: fffc05 10:00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:7f xxx.xx.100.71   0.0.0.0         "xxx-xxxx-sw04"

The Fabric has 5 switches

ipaddrshow on sw02:

Ethernet IP Address: xxx.xx.150.84

Ethernet Subnetmask: 255.255.254.0

Gateway IP Address: xxx.xx.151.254

DHCP: On

Valued Contributor

DHCP: On

Why do you have DHCP ON? And since it is on what adress is it assigned ATM and how does it get assigned, ie static using MAC or dynamic?

I think this has something to do with it.

Could you execute configshow|grep ipa to verify if the set adress and post the result?

Occasional Contributor

Not sure why DHCP is on. I think that there may be static entries in DHCP to always give it it's correct IP. I can check with the networks guy in a bit.

output from command:

boot.name:xxx-xxxx-sw02

boot.ipa:xxx.xx.150.84

boot.licid:10:00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:ca

boot.mac:10:00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx:ca

boot.device:eth0

boot.gateway.ipa:xxx.xx.151.254

Do you know where the entries in the fabricshow come from ? Are they DNS lookups, is there a 'fabric' hosts file, is the switch in question just asked what IP it is on ?

Also, I notice that the switch has an uptime of  259 days (since before me) could the IP address have changed in that time (so the boot parameters would be correct) but the fabricshow would be wrong ?

Thanks again

Chris

Valued Contributor

Not sure why DHCP is on. I think that there may be static entries in DHCP to always give it it's correct IP. I can check with the networks guy in a bit.

If DHCP is on there is no need to set an ipadress. You have both, which means one of the settings is wrong.

You could doublecheck on a different switch.

Do you know where the entries in the fabricshow come from ? Are they DNS lookups, is there a 'fabric' hosts file, is the switch in question just asked what IP it is on ?

Valid questions, for which I do not have a answer, but all your suggestions could be true. The DNS part is easy to check.

Host file on linux is located in /etc/hosts or something similar (log on as root to gain access) but perhaps there's a separate hostfile on FOS level.

Also, I notice that the switch has an uptime of  259 days (since before me) could the IP address have changed in that time (so the boot parameters would be correct) but the fabricshow would be wrong ?

Could well be, you can check by changing the IP on a other switch and then look at the fabricshow behaviour.

If those switches are still under support, you could consider creating a support ticket.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.