Fibre Channel (SAN)

prp
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

explanation sought for non-disruptive ugrades

Good Afternoon all,

I was hoping that someone could explain to me what non-disruptive FOS upgrades are and how they work please?
Is FCP connectivity maintained during these upgrades?

I think I understand that there are 2 partitions and that after firmwaredownload the device swaps to use the partition with the new FOS image installed on it (hareboot) and then overwrites the  orginal partition with the new image.

I need to go through a 4-step FOS upgrade (6.3.2b2 - 6.4.3 - 7.0.2b - 7.1.2b - 7.2.1c1) of some production Brocade 300s which connect NetApp disk shelves to controllers in a Metrocluster configuration.
In  preparation for this I  have just gone through the same upgrades on a standalone test switch (EMC badged 300 - switchType: 71.2).
What i have noticed is that there is always a drop in ip network connectivity to the switch and when I log back into the it and issue  the 'uptime' command as root, it appears that the device hasn't been up for very long.

So if the base linux O/S has been down, surely the device cannot have been passing FCP frames?
My test switch is not connected to any equipment so I cannot easily test this.
Is there a log entry somewhere which can prove that FCP connectivity is maintained?

Can anyone explain what looks like downtime on the switch?

Thanks  in advance for any help getting my head round this.

Valued Contributor

Re: explanation sought for non-disruptive ugrades

Linux-based Fabric OS is running on the PowerPC CPU which is not doing any FC switching.

All the FC frames are processed by ASIC that keeps running during the FOS upgrade.

prp
Occasional Contributor

Re: explanation sought for non-disruptive ugrades

Thanks very much for prompt reply.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.