Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

enc_out errors on all ports

Hi all,

We have Brocade 10-port 8 Gb SAN Switch Module for IBM BladeCenter  which is connected to Core Director (M48)

recently we have been receiving a lot of (833 (SQL Application) errors) from the Blades attached to this Switch module

After running a porterrshow I found that all utilized ports on this switch have large number of enc_out errors (700 - 900) along with loss_sync on only one of the Fabric switch

Also found some c3_discards on ISL ports connecting to Core directors. But these errors are not increasing substantially but they do over a weeks time.

We had this problem before but it was only on some Blades, after replacing the HBA cards from 8G to 4G those errors got disappeared but now its appearing on all the ports which is strange.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be much appreciated

I have also attached the output of porterrshow

Thanks in advance

Beth

Contributor

Re: enc_out errors on all ports

Hello

Do a "portstatsclear" and observe the rate of increase in errors

-> in parallel get the DBLoss of the cables connected to these port tested

New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

Sorry I made a typo its a 20 port 8Gb Switch module for IBM Bladecenter

I have already cleared the stats but they do appear over a period of time (like over a week) not very quickly.

Frequent Contributor

Have you checked the portcfgfillword settings for your 8Gbps port. Are the ISL ports configured 8Gbps too?

New Contributor

Yes the Fillword is set to 3 on all 8GB ports

and you are right  the ISL ports are set to 8GB

Now I do see some Bottleneck errors on these ISL ports and c3 discards as well

I have cleared them but they are not increasing

Frequent Contributor

I would say clear the stats on the ports where the SQL hosts are connected and see the observe for further enc_out errors.  are the enc_out errors increasing on "all utilized ports" still?

Valued Contributor

Hi,

When a behavior like this one is reported by all the ports, upgrading the FOS usually helps. What are the FOS versions installed on the switchs?

Kind rgds

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.