Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

different NS data on switches in the fabric

[ Edited ]

Hi there.

there is number of switches in the fabric. 2 core switches and severla edge switches. every edge connected to both core.

We noticed, that one of the core switches (say core2)  does not see devices from a certain edge switch (say edge5).

this is nsallshow from core1

1174 Nx_Ports in the Fabric

nsallshow from core2

1153 Nx_Ports in the Fabric

nsallshow from edge5 switch shows

1174 Nx_Ports in the Fabric 

ISLs are healthy.

what could be the reason for such a behaviour?

Brocade Moderator

Re: different NS data on switches in the fabric

Hello,

A possibility is this may occur in a setup with Long distance E port due to a rare name server query frame time out condition.

A hafailover should recover this issue (for directors).

What FOS version are you using?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Brocade Moderator

Hello-

If you run the fabricshow or topologyshow commands on core 2 switch, does it show switch 5 as part of the fabric?  If all of the switches are truely merged into 1 fabric then the name server table should be shared.  Are you using TI zones?  I'll see if i can find anything else that might explain this.

Regards,

Dave 

Brocade Moderator

Run nscamshow command from each core switch and pipe the outputs of each to a flie. Compare, or diff the  entries in the two name server cam files for devices which are not present, or unreachable. Report the findings back here.

doc

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of mechantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Valued Contributor

A couple of issues like that already discussed in a recent topic:

http://community.brocade.com/t5/Fibre-Channel-SAN/nscamshow-issue/td-p/86917
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

thank you, Alexey.

In my case it may be the DEFECT000513776. 

DEFECT000469915 is probably not, because we have normal distance E-ports.

Doc, nscamshow output from core2 switch shows no entries for edge5 switch:

nscamshow

Switch entry for 135
state rev owner cap_available
unknown v711 0xfffc67 1
Device list: count 0
No entry is found!

Dave

topologyshow

Domain: 135
Metric: 500
Name: e1-135
Path Count: 1

Hops: 1
Out Port: 3/6
In Ports: 1/1 1/3 1/4 1/6 1/8 1/9 1/10 1/11 1/12 1/15 2/0 2/1 2/3 2/5 2/7 2/8
2/9 2/10 2/11 2/12 2/14 3/0 3/3 3/4 3/7 3/8 3/9 3/10 3/11 3/12 3/15 7/0
7/1 7/2 7/5 7/6 7/7 7/8 7/9 7/10 7/13 8/1 8/12 9/0 9/2 9/3 9/4 9/6
9/7 9/8 9/10 9/11 9/12 9/15
Total Bandwidth: 16.000 Gbps
Bandwidth Demand: 2375 %
Flags: D

So I'm going to issue hafailover on core2 switch first, if it does not help then reboot edge switch setting defZone mode to NoAccess first.

But I think also, that another solution may be to reboot -f core2 director (48000).

It should not disrupt the traffic:

When HA is in sync, and reboot -f is issued on the Active CP of a director, the Standby CP
takes over as the active CP without traffic disruption.

hashow
Local CP (Slot 5, CP0): Active, Warm Recovered
Remote CP (Slot 6, CP1): Standby, Healthy
HA enabled, Heartbeat Up, HA State synchronized

FOS version is v6.4.1b. 

Brocade Moderator

Defect 469915 listed and fixed into release note of 6.4.3f may match with the issue seen.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Brocade Moderator

[ Edited ]

OK, you didn't fully answer my request but we'll deal with what we have. I now know ithe core is a 48k, and running 6.4.1, and it's a pretty big fabric. So, couple of things. The 48k and this FW release are notorious for mem leaks causing OOM condition. If you start to get a full memory on the core, and there's a change in the name server causing plenty of RSCNs, you can crash the NSD(name server deamon) and not maintain a name server distribution. Have you been adding, dropping F devices recently? That might account for the content addressable mem in edge being empty, or it may not. Don't know the sequence here - so shooting in the dark kind of.

As for remediation, well - you can try all kinds of things, but without accurately troubleshooting, it's hard to say what effect your actions will have, unless you reboot core2 and the edge. One way or another, if the NSD is crashed, it will need to be re-spawned somehow, but I'm not even remotely sure this is the cause of the lack of cam entries in edge switch. Rebooting will cause a build fabric, and all the devices will log back in. If you can take that kind of outage, it's a fix, but it's like smashing a Zika bug with a Mack truck.

Concur with the other poster that upgrading the fabric to the latest 6.4 release is a wise choice. Also, as a matter of management principle I would strongly encourage keeping your IP management traffic to a minimum to avoid mem leaks(no WebTools means no WebLinker process running - get it?). Further, if you have the Fabric Watch license, setup some thresholds to check for mem usage on all switches and have it report back to a email acct, or SNMP as you see fit.

licenseshow

fwshow

fwconfigure

fwhelp

Best of luck

doc

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of mechantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Occasional Contributor

Thanks everybody for help. hafailover on core2 director solved the issue in our case.

Brocade Moderator

Worderfull!

Please can you mark this as resolved?

Thank you.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.