Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

configUpload clarification

On a fabric switch that has virtual fabrics enabled and several virtual fabrics created with zones, is:

configupload -all

the equivilent of:

configupload -chassis

and

configupload -vf

i.e. does doing a "configupload -all" give a full backup of everything or do you still need the separate "configupload -vf" to have everything you need for a restore?

Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Re: configUpload clarification

A full backup needs separate collection of "configupload -all" and "configupload -vf"

New Contributor

Thanks for the info.

What would be the restore order if rebuilding a switch from scratch that had several virtual fabrics?

configdownload -all

and then

configdownload -vf

or the other way around?

Thanks again

Valued Contributor

1) -vf first, this will create the logical switches as they are declared in the backup and reboot;

2) then -all to restore the config of the chassis/switches.

if you'd do -all first, it will complain that the logical switches do not exist in the chassis...

External Moderator

Alexey,

first, I've never recovered any VF config, and to be honestly I'm not sure.

you wrote:

--->>>-vf first,

are you sure ?

VF, is based on a logical Switch, so as per my opinion should be first uploaded -all config and then the -vf config.

I'll not insist, but is probable I'm wrong here.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Antonio, "configdownload -vf" actually creates all the logical switches as they are defined in the backup file. I.e. what ports are allocated to what VF, which VF is "default", which one is "base" etc... etc...  If you don't do it - VFs simply do not exist, remember - we are talking about restoring the chassis from scratch. Note that this needs a separate backup file created with "configupload -vf" which dosn't look like a "normal" configupload file that we used to see for years before VF was introduced. When restore is complete, the chassis reboots.

Only after that, you can restore the config of some or all of the logical switches - because now they are defined, up and running.

First of all, this order is simply logical, and then, I've already done it, so trust me Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

it's like: you cannot install a Windows OS on a guest VM until you install ESX on the physical server and create a VM Smiley Happy
External Moderator

Alexey,

I don't have any doubt about, and as mentioned i've never restored, and had not the necessity to do such a recovery.

I was simple the opinion the recovery sequence is viceversa. that all.

Thanks anyway for you contributions.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.