Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

cfgsave fails after zoneobjectrename

Hi all,

I am renaming a large number of aliases to bring them in line with a new standard that we are going to apply. After I input the rename commands cfgsave fails with the error that "old_alias_name" is not found. Obviously the old alias names are still referenced in the zones. I was under the impression that it was simply a matter of changingthe alias names and these changes would propagate through the rest of the zone config. What stupid thing am I doing wrong here?

External Moderator

Re: cfgsave fails after zoneobjectrename

if you change the name, apart from it that is really no good idea,

must you bring the new alias into the zone and then zone into those config must be activated.

In the meantime, the cfg must be stopped.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hmmm, it seems I have been given some bad infomation.

We need to change the names as there is about three different naming conventions in use and we are trying to move to a single convention.

I think more reseacrch is needed...

External Moderator

Chris,

see in the command reference manuals for details about the command "zoneobjectrename"

Description:

This command changes the defined configuration. For the change to be preserved across switch

reboots, save the configuration to nonvolatile memory with the cfgSave command. For the change

to become effective, enable the configuration must be enabled with the cfgEnable command.

When an FCS policy is enabled, this command can be issued only from the primary FCS switch.

Note: FCS Command are descripted in the Primary FCS Commands.

TechHelp24
fho
N/A

I'll bring that old post up, because i too run into that "issue". A short summary:

-renaming a bunch of ALIASES and ZONES

Example:

-renaming alias01 - alias11 to aliasA - AliasK

-cfgSave Alias04 not found (the old name of the Alias)

-for example 10 of them work, 1 fails with (Alias04 not found (the old name of the Alias is still referenced in the zone, whereas the other zones have been updated automatically).

Funny: On the next try ( either renaming that single Alias, or also in the next bunch of aliases), updating the zones works fine for that previously failed alias update.  Any explanation?

@TechHelp24, to your statements, :

f you change the name, apart from it that is really no good idea --> WHY? If it would be so, why that option.

must you bring the new alias into the zone and then zone into those config must be activated --> as i see in 99% cases this is done automatically, for some reason, randomly one or a small number of alias renames fails to update the zonemembernames. no manual intervention.

In the meantime, the cfg must be stopped --> What? Why?

Sorry, to bother you, but i am looking for the right answers no speculation.

Contributor

Bumping this thread...

I am seeing the same problem.  I have a spreadsheet with all of my old aliases and mynew aliases.  I have a total of over 800 renames that I am trying to do using the command 'zoneobjectrename oldalias,newalias'.  Using Putty I am pasting in about 10 commands at a time and after about 30-40 renames I issue the command 'cfgsave'.  About every other save I get the error 'oldalias not found'.  I have to exit my Putty session, abandoning the 30-40 renames, reconnect via Putty and start over.  Very frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas why this command does not work 100% of the time?  I am running FOS v6.4.3b on a 48K.

Occasional Visitor

Ive had the same issue on older switches and older versions of code. In some instances, you have to dertemine how many commands can you run before you cause the buffer, that has the current config loaded, to error out on the switch. You have to realize that older switches have everything loaded into dram at boot and its limited. Newer switches are configured with more ram and partitioned to hold 2 versions of the OS with lots of buffer spaces allocated for use.

If running a 48K you EOL and should move on to something alot newer.. Just sayin...   

New Contributor

Hello Mr. Pudding,

I have the same issue. Did you find the answer for the issue?

Anyone who faced the same issue, please reply to this post.

Much appriciated in advance.

Thanks,

Veera

New Contributor

It's working fine when I run the single zoneobjectrename command to change one single aliase name alone. Issue is only with running multiple commands at a time.

Veera

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.