07-21-2010 11:50 AM
I'm running a pair of 200e optical switches connected to an EMC SAN and Dell servers via QLogic HBAs. I'm trying to connect a new server to the SAN via the 2 switch fabric and using the CLI and telnet have managed to:
the problem now is that I can't enable the defined configuration so that it becomes the effective configuration. The CLI syntax for this appears to be cfgEnable "cfg" (cfg is the actual name of the config), but it just doesn't work. I get the warning that this will supercede the existing configuration, which I acknowledge, but the effective configuration just doesn't change.
Not sure where to go from here. Switch hard restart maybe? Any suggestions? The Web GUI isn't really an option either. That ugly thing made a royal mess of my configuration, so I won't open it again.
07-21-2010 02:49 PM
I think you are experiencing what I am going through. I have seen this several times - on Brocade or "other vendor". typically what I have done in the past is delete the cfg file - activate to clean it out, then recreate a cfg file & activate that.
What I have: I have some ghost WWN's showing up that I added toa cfg, then activated, then minutes later removed. They are still there & new WWN's are not showing up.
Gonna add to your question: Is there a way to go in via admin/engineering mode to analyze actual effective cfg. I am 95% sure this is a zoning cfg problem, would hate to schedule a reboot if I can clean it up via cli.
07-21-2010 04:42 PM
Not sure about your WWN mystery. Are you using the Web GUI? If so, I've found that GUI to be unpredictable and unreliable and it even removed a zone on its own without prompting (that I know of). In its defense, I'm using Windows 7 x64 with 64-bit IE8 and Java 6.20 x64 which could easily not be a supported configuration for the Web GUI.
If your second paragraph is asking how to use the CLI, I found an excellent CLI reference for the OS version that I'm using (5.3.0), although the basic commands appear not to have changed much in later or earlier versions. I'll try to post that Commmand Reference but it's 4MB so may not post. Every other command required to manage zones and aliases worked exactly as advertised, just not the cfgEnable. Using a telnet client like PuTTY, it's possible to view zoning details with cfgShow. I've found that the information from the Web GUI is just plain different that what the CLI was saying. Please accept my apologies if this isn't what you meant by Engineering/Admin mode.
07-22-2010 03:47 AM
Post the o/p of cfgshow in the text file. The name of the file should not have any spaces else I wont be able to download it.
Also post o/p of cfgtransshow
Lets see if I can find what the mess is abt.
07-22-2010 11:34 AM
Not sure if this will be of much help. Everything that I can understand looks like it should. HBA WWN discovery seemed to work OK after cabling up HBAs, although the one thing I haven't done is to verify on the HBA stickers that the WWNs are accurate. I assume they are. The other element of this equation that needs updating is that the OS version of my switches isn't 5.3.0 like I'd originally said, but rather 5.2.0a. Doubtful this makes any difference to a basic command like cfgEnable.
The first 79 lines of the attached txt file are cfg* outputs from one of the two twin 200e switches which are set up in multi pathway high availability fabric. The remaining lines show my problem with cfgEnable not functioning. Both switches refuse to enable the configuration without explanation in exactly the same manner, so it seems unlikely that it's a unique bug, rather programmed behavior or maybe a bug that pervades the OS version.
The error log shows only that a new configuration is enabled when I run these commands, like everything is just peachy - DG.
07-22-2010 12:34 PM
From what I see it seems some one has created zones and not added it to the configuration, lets try if this works
Do the following only on one switch and report back if it helps.
cfgadd "APP01_2_to_SPA_1", "APP01_2_to_SPB_0"
I need to also add the reason why I think so
If you look at the defined configuration, the zones for APP are not listed
cfg: cfg GIS1_2_to_SPA1; GIS1_2_to_SPB0; HUB1_2_to_SPA1;
which makes me think that you may need to add the zones.
07-22-2010 01:55 PM
That's so close. I just got off the phone with a Brocade support tech who was equally stumped for the better part of an hour until he dug up an old 5.2.0 CLI reference. The crux move was indeed to use cfgadd, as follows:
SW200E_2:admin> cfgadd "cfg", "APP01_2_to_SPA_1; APP01_2_to_SPB_0"
SW200E_2:admin> cfgenable "cfg"
after which the configuration worked. Safe to say this procedure isn't fabulously well documented, although the zoning finally is working and my Navisphere Server Utility is now aware of all 4 paths to the SAN, so mission accomplished. Thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute to this thread.