Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

additional clarification needed, changing IP's on a production switch

I posted a question here a few days ago about changing the managment IP while the switch is in production.

The response I received indicated that it was possible to change the IP while the switch in question is running production without any disruption to the existing fabric (ie: no failing over to other path....etc.).

However while on the phone with HP Storage support, they indicated the switch would do a "fast Boot" to apply the changes. This would indicate that the fabric WOULD failover to the other path. the switches in question are a mixture of 4100's and 5100's (FOS 6.x)

I would like some clarification as to which senario would occur. I have to ask for downtime (maintenance window, after hours) if this would indeed execute a fast boot.

My thanks to Dion who replied earlier.

Louis

Valued Contributor

Re: additional clarification needed, changing IP's on a production switch

I would play it save and schedule a maintenance windows.

Perhaps more troubling then doing it during office hours, but at least you played it by the book.

If nothing happens, you at least know it for the future.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have never seen a switch to perfom a fastboot when executing ipaddrset.

AFAIK this is a non-disruptive operative.

rgds

Occasional Contributor

Thanks to all who replied....    

Felipon,

I, too, don't remember a switch having to fastboot after an IP set command. But, usually the IP is set during setup and not changed. I have an entry level HP 4/16 Power pack switch I will CLI into and play around to see what it will do in different senerio's.

Thanks,

Louis

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.