Fibre Channel (SAN)

Visitor

Zonning Best Practice and Procedure when E Port is configured

We have 2 Dell M1000e Blade Chassis where each chassis has 2 Broacde M5434 SAN Switch.
The switches was configured as a part of installation and I see Dell Installation team has configured E Port between
Chassis 1 Switch 1 and Chassis 2 Switch 1
Chassis 1 Switch 2 and Chassis 2 Switch 2.

Chassis 1 Switch 1:admin> switchshow
switchName:     Chassis 1 Switch 1
switchType:     75.0
switchState:    Online
switchMode:     Native
switchRole:     Subordinate
switchDomain:   1
switchId:       fffc01
switchWwn:      <switch 1 wwn>
zoning:         ON (CONFIG01)
switchBeacon:   OFF

Index Port Address Media Speed       State   Proto
==================================================
  19  19   011300   id    N8       Online      FC  E-Port  Chassis 2 Switch 1 WWN "Chassis 2 Switch 1" (upstream)
  20  20   011400   id    N8       Online      FC  E-Port  Chassis 2 Switch 1 WWN  "Chassis 2 Switch 1"

Chassis 2 Switch 1:admin> switchshow
switchName:     Chassis 2 Switch 1
switchType:     75.0
switchState:    Online
switchMode:     Native
switchRole:     Principal
switchDomain:   2
switchId:       fffc02
switchWwn:      <switch 2 wwn>
zoning:         ON (CONFIG01)
switchBeacon:   OFF

Index Port Address Media Speed       State   Proto
==================================================
  19  19   021300   id    N8       Online      FC  E-Port  Chassis 1 Switch 1 WWN "Chassis 1 Switch 1" (downstream)
  20  20   021400   id    N8       Online      FC  E-Port  Chassis 1 Switch 1 WWN "Chassis 1 Switch 1"

Both of the switches has same zones configured and running on CONFIG01 configuration. I want to add a new Backup Appliance we procured to the current configruation.
Before I perform that activity I wanted to know that do I need to do add zone first to the principal switch and then reupload the new config to subordinate switch or since ISL Link is already established it should show zones to both switches?

I would appericiate it, if someone can help with step by step procedure and let me know downtime required, if any.

Contributor

Re: Zonning Best Practice and Procedure when E Port is configured

The DB zone configuration is the same on all switches in the fabric.

You can add zones in effective config at any switch into the same fabric.

Contributor

Re: Zonning Best Practice and Procedure when E Port is configured

Stretching out the other reply a bit:

Instead of having four separate switches, with no physical/logical connections, you now have two 'fabrics', each containing two switches.

The zoning configuration for a fabric can be uploaded to any switch in a fabric, and it will be propogated among the other switch(es) automatically.  So in any zoning you do you have two zonesets to consider, one for each fabric.

I can see in your output that one switch is designated domain 1, and the other as domain 2.  Within a fabric, the lowest domain number is technically the root switch, but there is little 'power or authority' involved in your environment.  In a bigger SAN the core director or switch would normally be the root.

For the purposes of redundancy, or out of necessity/convenience, you could zone storage paths from one switch to host on the other switch and that traffic would traverse the E-ports smoothly.  But if it is not necessary, you wouldn't do that for normal traffic as it introduces a 'hop' into the FC network latency, and adds the possibility that the E-ports might become saturated, introducing additional delays.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.