Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Zoning between two Brocade 300 SAN switches via ISL?

Hi,

We want to connect a new Brocade 300 SAN switch to our existing Brocade 300 SAN switch (which has  zoning infomation) via Inter Switch Link (ISL). Both SAN switches are in default settings except the new SAN switch has different Domain ID, Switch Name, Chassis Name.

We connected both switches through a ISL (one cable) and switches automatically configured respective ports as E-Ports and Speed to 8G such that old switch being "downstream" and new switch being "upstream". The output of the "switchshow" command shows partner switch name in respective ports.

My question is on zoning.

I want to create a zone such that two ports from old SAN switch (Domain ID 2) and one port from the new SAN switch (Domain ID 3). How do I configure/create this particular zone which spans across both switches? Can someone provide step-by-step instructions?

Note that we are using hard-zoning (port-based zoning)

Thank you in advanced.

Valued Contributor

Re: Zoning between two Brocade 300 SAN switches via ISL?

Hi there,

As per your previous comment, the two switchs merged into the same fabric without problems. This means that the zoning was imported by the new switch, so that both switchs have the same effective zoning.

If you want to craete a new zone, just do it as you have always done it. Just bear in mind that one of the members in the zone will be in the new switch.

Kind regards,

Felipon

PS: Hard-zoning is not exclusive to port-based zoning anymore.

Contributor

Hi Felipon,

Thanks for the quick response. Could you kindly answer for the following...

1. How do I verify whether switches have merged successfully apart from "switchshow" output?

2. When create a zone that spans across both switches as I mentioned earlier, how do I refer peer switch and its corresponding port?

Suppose I am in old SAN switch (Domain ID 2). How do I refer port 5 in the new SAN switch (Domain ID 3) when creating zone a from old SAN switch?

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Hi,

In response to your questions:

1. with fabricshow, you should see both switchs in the same fabric.

2. the port-based zones, are refered by <domain, port>. So, check the Brocade FOS command reference guide for the exact command, but in short, the zone member refering port 5 in a switch with DID 3 would be <3,5>

An example of a zone with two members: port 1 in the old switch and port 5 in the new one.

SWITCH:admin> zonecreate "ZONE1", "2,1; 3,5"

rgds

Occasional Contributor

May I Know what and all license required to merge two brocade 300 SAN switches 

Brocade Moderator

HI Shijukumar  ,

Check that the Brocade Fabric License is installed on all swtches .

If this provided you with a solution to this issue,
please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided
solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique.
If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through
Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.