Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Zoning Rip And Replace ( Zoning Information ) Config

This looks like it should work but does not.

We have currently two DS_5100B and they are working fine, they are not connected together, We have now obtained two more and want to make up two two switch fabrics, we could just add one of the new switchs to each of the exsisting switches, but we dont want to do that.

So I have updated the old switch to 7.4.0a then taken a backup of the config.txt, then taken a copy of the config,txt from the new switches - not that there is any config on them.

Opened the config.txt from the old switch and scrolled down to the Zoning section and copied all the zone and alias information, then pasted it in to the new switch config.txt and saved.

The problem I have is when i try and copy the config back to the switch it fails with " Not Permitted " this is via the GUI or the command line, switch disabled / enabled just does not like it,

Has anyone been able to do this ? and what am I doing wrong Cat Frustrated

thanks for any help in advance

External Moderator

Re: Zoning Rip And Replace ( Zoning Information ) Config

I'm not sure waht you intend with any "copy" command

if you want to copy the config from one switch to another, this must be done with the command "configdownload"

and this is most confused...

-->>....we could just add one of the new switchs to each of the exsisting switches,

continue

......but we dont want to do that.

do you want to form a fabric or no ? also connect both Switch via ISL ?

in such case nothing is necessary to copy, because when the new switch join a Fabric the config will be merge in the new switch itself.

TechHelp24
Contributor

I'll try and explain a bit better.

currently we have two DS_5100B independent of each other, A & B both at FOS 7.4.0a, Both have zoning on them.

I have obtained two more DS_5100B these are ISL together at FOS 7.4.0a and no config on them other than the IP to access them.

I have used configupload to my FTP Server from unit B as this has the zoning information on it

I have then run the configupload on one on the new units to put the config on my FTP server.

Then opened the config.txt  ( from Swith B ) and copied the information in the Zoning part of the config  to the config.txt from the new switch.

so the idea being I do not have to re-create all the zones and alisis. So now I have a config from the new swich with the zone information in it.

I then ran the configdownload to but the config.txt back to the new switch with the zone information added, but it fails with "Not Permitted"

What I want to do is get the zone information from the old switch ( B )  to the new switch. then the old  switch ( B ) will be cleared and then attached to the switch A ( ISL ) then I will have  2 fabrics each with two switches in

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi,

ok you can do it as complicatet as you want. But why do you not keep it simple?

You have B5100 in Fabric A and B5100 in Fabric B. Now you bought two new B5100.

ISL one of the new B5100 to the B5100 in Fabric A and ISL the other new B5100 to the B5100 in Fabric B.

Both new switches do not have any Zoning and defzone must be the same as in the Fabrics A or B.

The the new switches will get the Zoning (incl. Alias etc) from the old ones.

Then you have two Fabrics with 2 B5100 each.

This procedure have been done thousend times in the world. No one is doing your procedure.

Kind Regards
Ralf
Contributor

ok, lets try again

I have copied the zone information from the working switch config,txt and pasted it in to the new switch config.txt

when when I try and restore the config to the new switch does it compalin and return with the message " Not Permitted "

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.