Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Zoning Question

Doe adding a new host to a zone or removing a host from a zone cause any service interruption to the remaining hosts in that zone?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Zoning Question

That depends on the operating system.To get around this you can use single initiator zoning, this means one zone for every single host hba. This way, the RSCN's are sent only to the one host whose zone really changed (since the x.1 brocade firmware level)

New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. What you mention is pretty consistent with what I've seen with regards to Solaris hosts. The firmware level on the switches (Silkworm 2800's) is arcane at 2.4.1c. I've been pushing for the upgrade, but nobody wants to listen...Thanks again for your input.

Frequent Contributor

2.4.1 - phew, I've not seen this one since long ago <!graemlin:Smiley Wink>Sadly, this RSCN parameter is not (yet) available for 2.x firmware (for 2800). Maybe you should ask Brocade if they have any plans to implement it into a new 2.x firmware?

Contributor

I would recomend upgrading to 2.6.x as it has the RSCN transmission mode setting (yes/no) with no being the default. I would also go for the 1 host per zone.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.