Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Zone Rename

I need to rename alot of zones in my fabrics -- will a zone rename cause a fabric logout / login? I know it requires a config enable but just don't want to cause any outage. I am running FABOS 5.3 on 3900/4100/48K switches. Thanks

Occasional Contributor

Re: Zone Rename

Good Morning,

Are your hosts single attached ? It is the basis if you do not want to have any outage, outside of zones renaming.

To be sure the outage will be as short as possible, I would not just rename the zones, would create a new config, create the zones in this config with the new names then, once everything's been triple checked, would activate this new config, keeping the old one under hands in case of.

Actually, all you may have is a retryable time out at the moment you activate the new zone set, which is not an outage if hosts are correctly configured.

Cheers,

Olivier

Contributor

Olivier -- thanks very much for your recommendation -- have a great day!

New Contributor

I have had the same issue a few times lately, and I have just renamed the zones and any alias's that were also wrong, and then enabled the config. I have not seen a outage on any of the affected servers.

Dave

Contributor

Thanks Dave. I'm hoping that is thecase in my environment. I'll probably still do the renames in our maintenance window just to be safe. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.