Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Zone Admin - Alias only shows local switch.

I have been meaning to ask this for quite a while so it may have already been answered.  I actually did search thru the communities but no luck.

I have several 4100/4900 switches at FoS 6.1.1b and a couple of older 12000 directors at FoS 5.0.5f.

In the older FoS,  in Zone Administration -> Alias -> Ports & Attached Devices, it would show all of the switches in the fabric and all of their ports.  In the newer FoS it only shows the switch to which I connected.

Is there a way to change it so I can see all of the switches in the fabric like the older FoS did?

Newer FoS (6.1.1b) screenshot (only switch 13 is shows up):

temsansw13.png

Older FoS (5.0.5f) screenshot (connected to switch 3 but all switches show up):

temsansw03.png

External Moderator

Re: Zone Admin - Alias only shows local switch.

I hear Zoning and Alias from Switches whit old FOS release apparently no longer appears in New 6.x version, and I do believe if I have myself seen

If I have the opportunity, it wants to test.
TechHelp24
N/A

I've got simular problems.

with my "old" fabrics I saw the complete list of all switches and WWN's only on the core FC switchs (FOS 5.3)

On the blade FC switches i see only the local WWN's (FOS 6.1.1d)

My 2 new fabrics consist only of switches with FOS 6.1.1d - this is a problem with creating zoning - there is no single point of administraton anymore.

Are there tools to handle the zoning ?

Occasional Contributor

You are correct : my switches under FOS 5.3 show all switches port/alias of the entire fabric (5 switches),

Switches under 6.1.1d in same fabric (only 2 of the 5) only present aliases of current switch.

But this is not a problem : once you defined the alias using the right switch, use anyone of them via

the ZONE tab of the zone administration and create your zones exploring the Alias sub folder that

contain ALL of the defined aliases.

Another tip is in alias naming, to give a part of used switch and port :

eg S1P04_MyServer_HBA1.

In another way, if you use WWNN/WWPN zoning, you rish misunderstanding

with such name if connection has been moved.

In a way, looks logic to me to define port alias on correct switch where the connection is

physically done and use zoning with global aliases, this avoid error renaming ports.

HTH

Th

New Contributor

Maybe the functionality was moved from Web Tools into DCFM. I'm not sure (because I don't have DCFM installed in my environment), but starting from FOS 6.1.1 some features was moved to Data Center Fabric Manager. It is mentioned in release notes that function called "Define Device Alias" in Web Tools 6.1.0 was in Zone Admin but then was moved to DCFM and is present in Configure>Zoning.

Occasional Contributor

I do most of the things you mention such as alias naming.  But, the reason I posted this has to do  when I am setting up a new alias.  My data center folks hook up the fiber and then report to me which port in the domain they connected it to.  So, when I go into the Alias area, I want to be able to go to that domain and port and then assign the WWN to the alias.  I used to be able to do this on FOS 5* where I would just log into ANY switch/domain  and select the switch/port and then the WWN and assign it to the new alias.  NOW, I either have to go searching through all of the WWNs, which is a pain because they are not in WWN order but in HBA Vendor name order (1000 or so WWNs), or I have to log into the switch they connect to and go to the port from there.

It seems they (Brocade) took a step backwards in ease of administration with the newer FOSs.  Ah well, just more time I have to spend.

Occasional Contributor

I'm new to san and i have a fabric with two switch running Fos 6.2. Via the webtools, Zone Admin only show the switch on witch i start the webtool.

I saw that you have the same problem and i wanted to know if finally, it is normal or not?

What are the alternatives? Go on each swith to define alias?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Some Feature are migrated to Data Center Fabric Manager, and not longer available in Webtools.

You need to install the DCFM.

Occasional Contributor

marc.nadeau wrote:

I'm new to san and i have a fabric with two switch running Fos 6.2. Via the webtools, Zone Admin only show the switch on witch i start the webtool.

I saw that you have the same problem and i wanted to know if finally, it is normal or not?

What are the alternatives? Go on each swith to define alias?

Thanks

This is normal for the newer FOS 6+.  They did move this handy piece of admin to Data Center Fabric Manager (DCFM).  Which costs a lot of money.  We can barely afford the switches, so I will just suck it up and do a bit more work.

If both of your switches are in the same fabric, you only have to add an alias once to any switch in the fabric and it will be propagated to the rest of the switches in the fabric.  Once the alias is in the fabric, you can then use it when you do your zoning from either the CLI or the GUI on the Zone Admin -> Zone tab.

As a side note, Brocade has also, apparently, moved the ability to sort WWNs correctly in the GUI -> Name Server screen to DCFM.  But, I cannot verify as I do not have DCFM.

See post: http://community.brocade.com/home/thread/3430?tstart=0

Super Contributor

Topaz,

--->>>But, I cannot verify as I do not have DCFM.

ask you supplier or OEM to obtai DCFM Prof. is for Free.

If you don't have any success, please let me know.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.