Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Where to seek help on basic errors

Greetings All,

This is a basic question - not too technical at all. I am in the midst of setting up fabric alerts. Firstly on a Hitachi software application (Hitachi's Tuning Manager) then later on the switch GUI's. Now I can set up alerts - no problems.

My alerts are looking for what I term the basic diagnotic checks - that is CRC errors, invalid word errors, link failures, delimeter errors,etc, etc. I got most of these condictions from the Brocade manual.

My question - as in what happened recently - is I got errors - a series of link reset counts, link failures, zero buffer credits, invalid order counts on some of my eneterprise 48k switches. Now what - where do you look up the errors that provide more than a description. In laymen terms - what does it mean to encounter a high level of zero buffer credits, or what does it mean to have delimeter errors, etc. One thing to trap the exception or alert - another thing to determine what it means and what to do.

I would appreciate anyone pointing me to a guide/reference material. I have a medium size SAN / fabric infrastructure including DR and several 48k switches. Alerting is important - but consequent actions are even more important.

External Moderator

Re: Where to seek help on basic errors

Sean,

is this a thread or Feedback ?

Is a thread you post in the wrong Board / Forum

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

I gues you need a Brocade SAN Troubleshooting Guide. I cannot find the link in the TRC.

Check the above link its HP, would help you get a overview. I remember seeing a brocade doc with all the errors and their meanings but cannot find it now, will post the link as soon as i find it.

Super Contributor

Also check the Fabric OS message reference guide

Maybe if you are HDS client, try creating a extranet account on the HDS website and the tuning manager guide might also give you some additional references.

Visit www.hds.com -> Click on PartnerXchange Login and register with your official email id. Once done await confirmation from HDS (takes 1-2 business days).

Hope this helps.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.