Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

When unplugging the Trunk Master the slave goes "In_Sync"

We are moving to new core switches and thus swinging the edge switch ISLs across.  We have connected the new cores to the old cores and are moving one ISL at a time.

Some of our edge switches have 2 sets of trunks using ports 0&1 and 30&31.   We have seen that if you unplug the Trunk Master then the slave goes into an In_Sync state.  If you disable & re-enable then it comes back ok as the trunk master.  I would have expected the slave to just take over as trunk master dynamically.  Unplugging the slave has no impact on the trunk master.

Is this because we have two trunks on the same switch?

Super Contributor

Re: When unplugging the Trunk Master the slave goes "In_Sync"

If everything is correctly configured, the other ISL should take on as the trunk master. I have had similiar configurations in my env and didnt have such a problem.

Could you provide these o/p

1. firmwareshow

2. portshow <port number> for each of the ports - 0,1 and 30,31

3. Any error messages?? errshow -r AND errdump -r

My guess is that there is some setting on the slave port that needs you to disable and enable prior to forming a trunk.

Contributor

Thanks for your response.  I am thinking the same thing but could not see why - it may help to know that this is a 3900?  I have attached the details you asked for.

Super Contributor

FW-1436 indicate a defective SFP

Replace the slave SFP

Contributor

Thanks to all.  We will be retiring this switch in the near future so I guess that will fix the problem

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.