Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

What is the best way to migrate a zone from one switch to another?

I have an existing FC switch with a configuration that I want to migrate to a new switch.

Is there an export/import option available from the GUI? Or would I have to migrate via a script?

Regular Contributor

Re: What is the best way to migrate a zone from one switch to another?

[ Edited ]

You can dump the switchconfig with configupload to a ftp server.

Basically you do configupload for both your old and new switch.

Take ONLY the zoning info from the old switch config and paste that into the new switches config.

configdownload the altered onfig in your new switch and zoning info has been migrated.

You can both configupload though the GUI (webtools or BNA) or CLI.

If it's alright that new switch gets a different DID, you can also ISL the 2 switches (if license allows that) and when the fabric merges the zoning db is also copied to the new switch.

There's now "best way", it al comes down to your requirements and what you feel comfortable with.

New Contributor

Does this work if the existing switch is a Silkworm 200E and the new one is a 5100? Or is there a better way?

New Contributor

i did that before, you may connect fibre cables in between old switch and new switch, configure port as e-port and new switch configure as def zone --all.. zoning config will copied over to new switches. hope this will help  

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

dion.v.d.c_1 wrote:

You can dump the switchconfig with configupload to a ftp server.

Basically you do configupload for both your old and new switch.

Take ONLY the zoning info from the old switch config and paste that into the new switches config.

configdownload the altered onfig in your new switch and zoning info has been migrated.

You can both configupload though the GUI (webtools or BNA) or CLI.

If it's alright that new switch gets a different DID, you can also ISL the 2 switches (if license allows that) and when the fabric merges the zoning db is also copied to the new switch.

There's now "best way", it al comes down to your requirements and what you feel comfortable with.

Careful if attempting this: In the FOS CMD reference guide it says:

Do not manually edit a configuration file after uploading the file and before downloading the file to a switch. Manual editing bypasses sanity checks for some configuration parameters and results in unpredictable system behavior.

I just can't believe Brocade hasn't developed a simple tool for this. To create all my aliases and zones again from scratch will take me the better part of two days solid.

TAC Mod

Hello @lpphiggp

Apologies for this delayed response, but I'm looking into this for you. Could you tell me what you're trying to copy over exactly?

Regards,

Denise K.

Brocade Community Team

@DeniseK

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.