Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

What do I need to get my 48K switches supporting speed of 8 GB?

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me with this.

I have a couple of 48K switches running  FOS  v6.2.1b , currently all the ports are at 4 GB , I would like to use the ports at  8 GB .

What do I need to do to get have 8 GB ports ? 

External Moderator

Re: What do I need to get my 48K switches supporting speed of 8 GB?

Due Control Processor restiction, the 48K is a Native 4GB Director and remain 4GB.

You can full populated the Director with 8GB Blade ( all 4 Power Supply must be installalled ) but Speed Traffic beetwen Blade X and Blade Y remain 4GB.

Speed - all connected device - beetwen the same Blade work fulls as 8GB.

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

Hi Tech-Help,

one short question is it right that the FC8-32 card had two Condor2 ASICs on board?

If so I assume that switching within one ASIC will remain on 8gbit. Traffic to the second ASIC on the same card have to pass the backend ASIC of the CP card so it will slow down to 4Gbit.

Can you clarify this?

Thanks,

Andreas

External Moderator

Andreas,

--->>> If so I assume that switching within one ASIC will remain on 8gbit.

AFAIK, 99,999% the 8G remain between the same blade, and not for the Traffic caused from one Blade to another.

As mention this restriction is caused from CP and not from Port Blade.

this is like the 24000 technology , you can use here 48K 16 Port 4GB Blade, but between the same Blade you are in 4G.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

Hi andreas, Yes the FC8-32 has two ASIC's. And your assumption it right on. Inter ASIC traffic, albeit the same or another blade, has to go trough the routing ASIC on the CP blade, you're back at 4G and 2:1 oversubscription.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.