Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Web start to access Web Tools after upgrade to v6.4

I'm working with a couple IBM 2005-B32 SAN switches that have just been upgraded from v5.2 to v6.4.  Somewhere in there the access method changes to JNLP using web start.  We're actually using Firefox on our AIX 5.3 platform to connect to the switch but if we use web start directly (just to get Firefox out of the picture)  using "javaws http://<ip>/switchExplore_installed.html" then web tools starts to load (and sometimes loads just fine) but usually fails with a java.lang.NullPointerException in "com.brocade.common.ui.property.DefaultPropertyModel.removeProperty(Unknown Source)" called from "com.brocade.web.switchview.HorizontalSwitchInfoPanel$4.finished(HorizontalSwitchInfoPanel.java:479)".  Web Tools hangs at that pont sometimes the screen is populated sometimes not.   We're using "java full version "JRE 1.6.0 IBM AIX build pap6460sr15-20131017_01 (SR15)".  Anybody have some hints about what I might do with this problem?

Regular Contributor

Re: Web start to access Web Tools after upgrade to v6.4

[ Edited ]

Does webtools work when you try it from another supported OS .browser/ JRE, for instance a workstations with win7 and IE?

As workaround, you can use the CLI until you get webtools sorted

New Contributor

I haven't tried it with other browers yet ... in an operational environment no others are available.  Perhaps I was mislead by the Java exception and the problem is related to the availability of wt-app.jar described here http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Storage-Area-Networks-SAN/Brocade-admin-console-has-disappeared/td-p/4532236 it wasn't clear to me that theses were errors.  When I downlevel to v6.0.0 my problem does appear to be resolved but I suppose that "Web Tools" should not hang at v6.4.3.  We usually manage from the CLI but the GUI does provide easy to "see" status that someones gotten used to.

New Contributor

Problem solved.  I reinstalled Java6 on the server and the problem went away.  I think the problem sure looked like the wrong level of Java or something still in the cache.  The Java console said the application couldn't load from the cache but I don't know if that means that all or some stuff is not loaded from the cache.  I wish I had just deleted my whole ".java" directory where the cache appears to be located.  There are no wt-app errors on the console either.  So, I'm back up to v6.4.3c on AIX using Javaws via Firefox ... it seems like an unusual environment compared to the rest of the world.  Thanks for the help. 

Frequent Contributor

Maybe this resolves your problem:

http://erwinvanlonden.net/2013/12/brocade-webtools-and-java/

Cheers

Erwin

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.