Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Want to connect 2 brocade switches through Cisco switches

I need to access my Quantum tape library in another building which is connected to a brocade 300 silkworm currently it works fine communicating with a server running netbackup which is also connected to that brocade switch. I have configured a zone for the libraries HBA and the servers HBA and called it Backup. I have also created aliases for the WWN and placed them in the zone and as I say life is good. Now they wish to virtualize the server.Where the server will be virtualized exists a brocade switch in support of a SAN. They wish me to create a path from the brocade 300 to the cisco switch in that room in hopes of piggy backing on the switch using it's connection to the other switch in the building where the library is from where they wish me to connect from that cisco 4506 switch to the Brocade 300 there which already has a connection established to the Quantum library. Is this possible? Is all that is required is to trunk a fiber connection (port on cisco switch) wich would represent the connection from the brocade 300 where the virtualized server is to the switch to the building where the library is. And from that switch a trunked fiber connection to the brocade where the library is connected.

A little long but had to ask

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Want to connect 2 brocade switches through Cisco switches

Hi,

It is not clear to me what your plans are. I was not able to decode your description into a small picture....

The CISCO 4506 is a native Ethernet switch or is this box capable of FC?

You can connect the two Brocades together if some requirements are fulfilled.

Do you have a really good reason to run a Netbackup Server as VM?

Is your Netbackup Server not doing much IO / high throughput?

Happy New Year,

Andreas

External Moderator

Brocade SAN Switches - excepted IP capable switches - cannot be connect to any native IP / LAN  switch, excepted the management Console Port.

The Cisco 4506 is a Native IP / LAN Switch and not support FC protocols.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

My manager has a wild hair . In this case I'm trying to connect the brocade switch to Cisco 6506 that isn't really where the problem starts. That 6506 switch is trunked to a cisco 4500  switch in another building. That switch however has fiber used to support the uplink to the 6506 and no other fiber is present on that blade in the switch. The goal was to use the relationship between the 2 switches to extend the reach of the brocade switch so it could talk to another brocade switch located in the same building as the Cisco 4506.

I take it from this responses that is not possible.

Dana

New Contributor

Sorry to take so lomg to respond. I envisioned using the Cisco switches to extend the reach of the brocade to connect to a brocade in another building.

From your response "doesn't support FC protocols" means using the cisco switches in this manner is not possible.

Thanks

External Moderator

--->>> From your response "doesn't support FC protocols" means using the cisco switches in this manner is not possible.

Correct, you cannot connect Directly the Brocade 300 to Cisco or another Native IP / LAP Switches.

in order to connect both Building you you need a IP / FC Capable Swictehs Routers, here a Simple Example.

Brocade 300 <--> Brocade 7500 <--> IP WAN <--> Brocade 7500 <--> Brocade 300

Another Solution is to Connect both Brocade 300 trough FC - ISL Port-to-Port - with Brocade Extended Fabric License if the distance is great at 10 KM

TechHelp24
New Contributor

What is a "FC - ISL Port-to-Port" ? Sorry but I'm a real novice. Is this a piece of equipment that can be purchased?

The use of a 7500 would be more than the folks here would be interested in because of cost.

Thanks very much

Dana

Super Contributor

FC - ISL Port-to-Port means that you connect two Brocade SAN Switches directly with a fiber Channel cable together.

It is important to know which distance is between both switches.

In general you need for a room to room connection Single Mode Fibers with 9µm and in both switches you need Longwave SFPs.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.