Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
oscar.reina.ext

Virtual Fabric with old switches

Hi forum,

i am planning to renew my fabric with DCX directors. i want to use VF but i have a dude with the not supported switches (for example 48K). Its possible to add it to my VF fabric?, what is the procedure because SW 48k does not support VF only AD Domain.

Thanks a lot!!

Occasional Contributor
ignacio.vidal

Re: Virtual Fabric with old switches

Hello Oscar,

It is possible to create a VF and include in it "older" switches.

We passed through this experience some years ago and, meanwhile, we added newer switches to those VF's (and connected older switches too).

Just keep in mind that the restrictions have to do with the "availability" of Domain ID's like in a traditional/physical fabric: you create the VF with a "fabric ID" (FID) with the form of a "logical switch", and this logical switch shouldn't repeat the Domain ID of other switch connected to the same fabric.

I.e. you configure the logical switch like a traditional/physical switch, with its own domain id, set of ports, fabric parameters in case you need this, PID format, interop mode, etc.

A last reccomendation: upgrade firmwares for 48K to "6.x" FOS family (please check the exact version with Support team, I don't manage 48K).

Hope this could help.

Regards

Ignacio

Occasional Contributor
oscar.reina.ext

Hi ignacio,

Thanks for your answer.

i have a question: in the old switches what configuration do you used? only to change the switch domain id and the  Administrative domain uniquely "0" ? did you have issues with the zone cofiguration?

Thanks for your help

Occasional Contributor
ignacio.vidal

Hello Oscar,

I believe it should be analyzed just a bit deeply, depending on the final scenario (will you leave 48k working?, are those switches being replaced at all?, do you have 2 redundant fabrics?, etc...)

Perhaps you can add new DCX switches without changing Domain ID (just use "the next" available DID)

I assume you're talking about fabric/zoning configuration, so you don't need to change it, it will be propagated from old switches to new ones when establishing the ISL between switches (but, again, it will depend on the scenario you're managing: if you decide to "migrate" ports from the starting fabric on 48K to a new isolated fabric on DCX, you'll need to configure zoning in the new fabric).

Check fabric parameters too (if it was "untouched", then it should work fine as it is the standard parameter set) and compare it from 48K to DCX: it will help to assure a "clean" fabric merge.

Just left some ideas.

Regards

Ignacio

Occasional Contributor
oscar.reina.ext

Hi ignacio,

i made the test but i had the next error in the Non-VF switch.

FID 128, port 0 AD conflict.

Its possible to merge the two switches with other FID diferent to 128?

(the VF switch have the FID 11)

thanks for your help.

Occasional Contributor
ignacio.vidal

Hello Oscar,

Just change de Domain ID of the "non VF" switch to other domain id different from 11 (which is the Fabric ID of the VF switch), and different to others domain ID probably existing on the fabric.

Regards

Ignacio

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.