Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
ali.moghrabi

VDX 6730 + Dell Equallogic PS6110

Hello,

I'm in the process of deploying a SAN using a dell equallogic ps series array and 8 servers. they are all going to be interconnected using 1 brocade vdx6730 switch which i already setup and played around with.

i wanna know what it is the best possible way to setup this SAN with the equipment i have. All the equipment is connected to the switch using 2 10GB SPF+ cables.

what is the best way to configure my switch to get the best performances. the switch will be handling iSCSI traffic along with regular traffic.

Do i need to use DCB support with priority-group-table or without DCB support.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you.

Contributor
smahadev

Re: VDX 6730 + Dell Equallogic PS6110

New Contributor
ali.moghrabi

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I already read those. But i want to know, is my config the one without DCB support or with DCB support

Thank you,

N/A
joseph_surak

Hi, it’s Joe with Dell EqualLogic, maybe this will help with your question:

First, I must point out that the 6730 isn’t on the approved “EqualLogic Compatibility Matrix “ list yet (a.k.a. ECM), so be advised that support may/may not be able to help you down the road with performance, connection issues, etc.until the switch is validated:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/storage/w/wiki/2661.equallogic-compatibility-matrix.aspx

So, how to determine if you can use DCB or not, the answer is if the switch is not validated for DCB on the ECM matrix, DCB should be disabled.

You are treading into uncharted waters with regards to using A) the 6730 and B) the 6720 configuration and settings that are not for your switch (they may or may not be the same).  This is all fine if this isn’t production, and you are just testing to see “if it works”.

With that said, (again your switch isn’t on the ECM):

In order for DCB to work you need to enable/configure priority flow control (PFC) for iSCSI, iSCSI TLV, and ETS as appropriate, so ensure the following DCB elements are configured on each switch:

• Confirm that DCB is enabled on the switch
  • Confirm that LLDP’s are configured for TX and RX
  • Confirm that DCBx is enabled and set for the correct version or automatic detection mode
  • Configure PFC, including PFC enabling, configuring lossless queue, and mapping of iSCSI traffic to the lossless priority group
  • Configure ETS, including ETS enabling, and assigning the desired bandwidth to the lossless priority group

Also note that if this switch doesn’t support PFC, iSCSI TLV, or ETS, disable DCB for the switch ports to which the array is attached and enable standard 802.3x flow control for those ports (for those switches that allow per port DCB and/or flow control configuration, otherwise the settings will need to be set globally on the switch).

Finally the host interface would also need to have DCB compliant HW and drivers.

Not sure if you took a look at this, but it has some good general information and guidelines/testing for DCB: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/storage/w/wiki/2634.creating-a-dcb-compliant-equallogic-iscs...

Regards,

Joe

New Contributor
ali.moghrabi

Hello Joe,

First of all thank you for your reply.

Everything is still in testing mode, nothing is in production so no worries there.

i didn't think the vdx 6730 is all that different from the vdx6720 which is compatible.

and all the configuration that are mentioned in the reference architecture exist in the 6730.

I will definitely do what you proposed.

And we will be using 2 10Gb connections with each host in the SAN, so maybe we wouldn't even need to use priority flow control.

I was reading the last doc you last referred to when you replied so i guess I'm the right track.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.