Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Using the USB for DCX OS Upgrade

I can't get to my FW on the USB. I need to upgrade from v6.xx to v7.1 xx. I have tried a Brocade USB and 2 others.  I've read the OS v6.4 and v7.x USB documentation. I tried using the GUI to activate the USB port but no luck.  I put the FW on the USB creating the folder structure: config, firmware, firmwarekey,support.  I have FOS 6xx and 7xx in the firmware folder. I can't Enable or, - list any content.  I have search the forum.   Are the specific brand name USBs that work?  Using a usb is the only way i can upgrade a pair of remote switches?

jmm
Valued Contributor

Re: Using the USB for DCX OS Upgrade

Hi,

As per Brocade documentation, only Brocade branded USB devs can be used. I am not familiar with the GUI but, via CLI, the command to mount the USB device is usbstorage -e.

If you cannot upgrade the FW with the USB device, you should try to do it via FTP. Take a look at the FOS admin guide, there is a chapter dedicated to FW upgrades that explains the whole process.

Rgds,

Felipon

Super Contributor

jimm wrote:

I put the FW on the USB creating the folder structure: config, firmware, firmwarekey,support.  I have FOS 6xx and 7xx in the firmware folder. I can't Enable or, - list any content.

In addition to what felipon has shared, there are a few things I wanted to comment on in regards to the USB device(s).

1. When issuing the usbstorage -e command, if it is not a supported usb device, it will not enable and should eventually fail with the message "device not found".
  2. Regarding your message (seen above), the folder structure is already present as the USB device is formatted with a utility that has already creates the required directory structure on the USB device and does not require modification or creation of new folders.
  3. Every application has it’s own space known as “application area”- Firmwaredownload, firmwarekey, support and config.  The CLI works on these application areas. The details about the filesystem, directory hierarchy, etc. remain opaque to the user.
Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Contributor

Thanks Mike and felipon,   What Brocade document lists the approve USBs?   I've read most of the v64x and v7.x documentation but haven't seen specific brands of USBs listed. 

jmm
Valued Contributor

The fact is that the one I have is Brocade branded.

External Moderator

Jimm,

the vendor Brocade Labeling USB is STEC Inc

http://www.stec-inc.com/products/usb-flash-drive/

TechHelp24
New Contributor

How can I obtain a Brocade USB drive?

External Moderator

Steven

ask you Brocade reseller. Brocade USB Drive is a orderable parts.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.