Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Upgrading from SAN16B to SAN40B

Hello

I'm looking for some advice / help.

We currently have 4 16B as 2 fabics, as we have run out of ports we are moving to the SAN40B.

The 16B are currently using Domain / Port zoning which makes migration more difficult but WWPN can be added in parallel so that moving is easier,

Is there any easy way to convert the current config to use WWPN with minimal downtime ?

I believe I need  to use Persistent Domain ID’s and make the 8Gb platform the Principal switch

Move the Storage and Hosts to the 8Gb platform ,

How difficult is to migrate the config from the 16B to the 40B, should I upgrade the 16B's to the latest firmware before any upgrade takes place ?

would it be better to start again and set two new 40B's as a new fabric then do the WWPN configuration ?

I'm sorry there are a lot of questions but any help advise is greatly appreciated

Regards

Phil

Super Contributor

Re: Upgrading from SAN16B to SAN40B

Is there any easy way to convert the current config to use WWPN with minimal downtime ?

Do the conversion one fabric at a time, and you do need any downtime. I'm not sure of the impact when you replace a port with a WWPN alias. The one I have tried is replacing one WWPN with another. There is a slight disconnect, so some hosts or multipath may not like it. For windows works most of the time.

I believe I need  to use Persistent Domain ID’s and make the 8Gb platform the Principal switch

Its good to have persistent domain ids and to set the switch as principal use fabricprincipal - Again one fabric at a time.

Move the Storage and Hosts to the 8Gb platform ,

How difficult is to migrate the config from the 16B to the 40B, should I upgrade the 16B's to the latest firmware before any upgrade takes place ?

What are the current levels??

would it be better to start again and set two new 40B's as a new fabric then do the WWPN configuration ?

If you are running out of ports is this option feasible?? 16B is an old switch if I recollect, so replacing with a new one would be a good option.

I'm sorry there are a lot of questions but any help advise is greatly appreciated

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.