Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Upgrade Fabric OS

Hi,

I am Alex, I am new with fiber channel switching  and i have some beginner questions.

I have to upgrade the F. O.S. of a brocade 200E san switch from version 5.0.1 to 6.2.2. I have found on the IBM web site, on Fix Central, a lots of updates that should be made up to version 6.2.2. I suppose that all of them have to be applied to the san switch up to version 6.2.2?

The san switch i am talking about is connected with another one, so they work as if they were one - a fabric. Must i break the connection between them while performing the upgrade?

I have started to download the Fabric OS versions. I have unpacked the zip files, but inside the folder i see several SWBD folders and many files. How do i know which file is for my san switch? In the read me for the Fabric OS it does say that my san switch is supported, but i do not know which file to chose.

I intent to upgrade the san switch using ftp option from the san switch interface. Does anyone know an easier method?

Best regards Alex.

External Moderator

Re: Upgrade Fabric OS

Alex,

anyway, this is a common topic here, use the search option give more result

First, since the switch is current  running at 5.0.x, you must made upgrade in several step, direct upgrade to 6.2.2f

( BTW. this is latest available release ) is not supported.

the upgrade path should be as follow:

5.0.x -> 5.1.x -> 5.2.x -> 5.3.x ->6.0.> 6.1.x and finally to 6.2

about the folder you mention:

you must post the package in ftp root or folder, point by the upgrade "firmwaredownload" command to this folder i.e.

/v5.1.1/release.plist

that all.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Thank you for your answer.

So what you are saying is that i have to apply all 5.0.x versions, then all 5.1.x versions, and so on, right?

There is no release.plist file in the main folder. There is a file release.plist in each sub-folder. That is why i  was asking which file is the one i need. Please see bellow the picture with the structure of the folders.

Best regards Alex.

picture 1.PNG

External Moderator

--->>>So what you are saying is that i have to apply all 5.0.x versions, then all 5.1.x versions, and so on, right?

YES.

you must point as I describe in preview post in root folder and not in sub-folder

the command select the correct switch appropriate folder itself.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hello again,

I did understand this, but there is no release.plist in the root folder.

Best regards Alex.

External Moderator

--->>but there is no release.plist in the root folder.

Correct, the command find the file itself.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Oh. It's clear now. I will give it a try. Thank you.

Regular Contributor

If you're on 5.0.0 you do not have to install 5.0.1 and 5.0.2b and 5.0.3, etc. Only one (perhaps the latest) in each series is necessary, release notes of the firmwares has the information about which firmwares it can be upgraded to.

If you're on 5.0.5, upgrade to 5.1.something, then upgrade to 5.2.something, etc.

Message was edited by: Johan Guldmyr. Renamed to real releases.

External Moderator

Guldmyr,

-->>You do not have to install 5.0.6 and 5.0.7 and 5.0.8.

you should Please avoid to post some confused answer, and the reason is very simple.

New and no experienced user, or other user are not familiarly with Legacy FOS Release, ask one day for some Invented Release that never existed.

Thanks.

TechHelp24
Regular Contributor

TechHelp42,

respectfully: tend to your own garden. If that was the case we would never be in this dire situation:

--->>>So what you are saying is that i have to apply all 5.0.x versions, then all 5.1.x versions, and so on, right?

YES.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.