Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Upgrade FOS path. Single mode.

Hello there.

I know that upgrade path should involve all "middle" versions of FOS, like 7.0.x -> 7.1.x -> 7.2.x and so on.

But there is a way with -s option (I mean firmwaredownload -s). As far as I get it called "single mode" and it allows to skip one stage, e.g. I can upload 7.1.x -> 7.3.x with -s option. Unfortunatelly I couldn`t find any documentation about this option, what result I will get? Will it destroy swtich config? May be its for new swtches with factory configuration or what?

Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade FOS path. Single mode.

From what I understand, on a single CP switches "-s" will allow updating the secondary flash with image which is more than one minor version further than the active one. The switch then will have to perform a full reboot instead of hareboot because two very different versions will not allow a smooth failover.

I used this option a lot, but only on the dual CP directors, it never corrupted any config or something like that, but you could backup of course, just in case.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.