Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Upgrade Brocade 5300 switch Firmware

[ Edited ]

Hello,

This is the first time, I will be doing the upgrade, so my question might sound silly.

I am planning to ugrade Brocade 5300 switch Firmware.

Single Brocade 5300 switch

Current Firmware: v6.4.3d

Connected to 4 VNX arrays

Hosts are also connected.

Downtime is not an issue.

I could not find the possible Upgrade Paths, like direct upgrade or stage upgrade (i.e. Upgrade to one version and then to the latest version)

I went through "brocade-fos-target-path.pdf" > But if anyone in simple language can tell me why and when to refer this document

I went throught "brocade-compatibility-matrix-fos-7x-mx.pdf" > What is FICON and Open Env.

Also, what is the latest firwmare, I can upgrade to.

Thanks.

External Moderator

Re: Upgrade Brocade 5300 switch Firmware

here is a FOS Target Path guide, you must follow the Upgrade path in order to update to latest FOS release.

lates tRel. is 7.4.1a direct update in one step is NOT! Supported.

https://search.brocade.com/?q=fos%20target%20path

FICON is IBM Mainframe proprietary Connectivity used in example IBM zSeries Mainframe.

If you don't have FICON, you can ignore it, otherwise you get a FICON Qualified FOS release.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Ok, so since we do not have IBM Mainframe connectivity, I can ignore FICON thing. 

So do I need follow below path to update latest FABOS,;

Upgrade Path to Brocade for Open Systems Environments

FOS v6.4.3d/e/f/g  FOS v7.0.2c/d/e  FOS v7.1.1a/b/c*  FOS v7.2.1a/b/c/d/e**  FOS v7.3.1d

Since we have v6.4.3d, it will be "4 stage" upgrade to reach FOS v7.3.1d, correct?

Thanks.

External Moderator

the upgrade Path FOS Release listed on the DOC is just for reference, as the DOC was created FOS 7.4 was not available.

in feew word, after you are in 7.3 can proceed safely with upgrade to FOS 7.4.1a wich is supported  on 5300.

I assume you are not experienced with such FOS Upgrade, at this point, keep in mind the firmwaredownload command made the upgrade on the CF in TWO Step, first in StandBy Partition, when this is completed the StandBy become Active and restart with NEW FOS and then proced with second partition.

Have be patience here, and DO NOT!!!! Power off or whatever with the switch, otherwiese become corrupted.

just the telnet/ssh connectivity will be lost, and you need only to connect again after a cople of second, that all.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Yes Sir, first time, so little cautious and asking more Smiley Happy

Anything else needs to be taken care of, like Port Disable after upgrade, which needs to be enabled manually, etc.

External Moderator

nothing is need to disable, FOS upgrade is very easy, simple and non-disruptive.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again for all the info.

External Moderator

->Yes Sir, first time, so little cautious and asking more

you are welcome at any time.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.