Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Understanding Performance.

Is there any doc o place where i can discuss or learn about siwthces performance? for instance, i see that, for ports, there it says 4% used and i do´nt understand how it is measured. what does it mean that a port is 8gb? is it 8gb in one way and in the other? this comes, because i have many issues saying that the san is the guilty and i dont have enough tools to use for discussion.

thanx.

Brocade Moderator

Re: Understanding Performance.

Hi Gabriel,

speed is bidirectional - so speed is 8Gbps in both direction.  Dependent on where you look and which tools, or command, you used to get the 4%, but in most cases it would mean that you used 4% of the bandwidth of that link. Assume that the speed is set to 8gbps, 4% of 800mb/s is around 32mb/s. 

If you want to look at raw figures, you can use for example portperfshow (CLI) where you can see transmitt and receive rate for all or a subset of the ports on a switch.   To get an overiew of of performance and configuration,  you can use SAN Health (gathering data under 24hours). BNA can also provide insight into the performance of your fabric(s). 

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.