Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unable to upgrade from 7.3.1c to 7.4.1d, Advanced Performance Monitoring needs disabling?

I attempted to upgrade from 7.3.1c to 7.4.1d and get the following message:

Advanced Performance Monitoring (APM) is obsoleted in FOS v7.4. Please remove all APM monitors if installed on all the logical switches prior to upgrade. Please use commands perfDelEEMonitor, fmMonitor --delmonitor, perfTTmon --delete to remove all End-to-End monitors, Frame monitors and Top talker monitors respectively. Flow Vision provides the same functionality in FOS v7.4. Please refer Flow Vision Administrator's guide for further information.

I see the commands that are suggested to run to remove all APM monitors.

But I'm curious of a couple things.

1) Would someone have had to create these APM monitors in the first place? 

2) I assume there is no fallout from getting rid of them?

Sorry, I just don't understand enough about what they do or how they would have gotten on one of the 6 SAN switches we have at a particular location.

Thanks.

Brocade Moderator

Re: Unable to upgrade from 7.3.1c to 7.4.1d, Advanced Performance Monitoring needs disabling?

Hello,

Yes somebody has probably configured this for test or monitoring in the past.

There is no fallout from getting rid of them.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Brocade Moderator

Re: Unable to upgrade from 7.3.1c to 7.4.1d, Advanced Performance Monitoring needs disabling?

1) If you use BNA and enabled top talkers via BNA, then APM monitor would have been used ...

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Contributor

Based on the information I'm seeing, these are the steps I should take to disable performance monitoring.

1. Enter perfdeleemonitor to remove all End-to-end mon
itors.

2. Enter perfcfgsave to save this change.

3. Enter fmmonitor --delmonitor to remove all filter m
onitors.

4. Enter fmmonitor --delete
frametype
 to remove the specified user-defined frametype.  

5. Enter perfttmon --delete to remove all switch level
 Top Talker monitors.

6. Enter perfttmon --delete fabricmode to remove fabri
c mode Top Talker monitors.

But the very first command I try, perfdeleemonitor, seems to only work by specifying slot/port numbers.  I read that if slot/port numbers are not specified that it should prompt to delete all the monitors, but when I issue the command it states a slot/port number need to be specified. 

DSTSAN-2499-4:FID128:admin> perfdeleemonitor
Usage: perfDelEEMonitor [SlotNumber/]PortNumber [monitorId]

I have to figure there's a way to do this without doing all 256 ports individually.  Or maybe there's a command that displays which ports have monitors on?  I have never dealt with these monitors before so this is all new to me.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

run the following command (in each logical switch, if you use VF) to see what monitors you have in place

perfresourceshow –eeRes

perfresourceshow --portttRes

configshow -all | grep perf.Toptalker

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Contributor

Thank you for your quick response, Martin!

Below is the output of the commands.

perfresourceshow --eeRes
Fabric Mode TT is already present and EE monitor cannot coexsist

perfresourceshow --portttRes
Fabric Mode TT is already present and port level TT cannot coexsist with fabric mode TT

perf.ToptalkerEnabledonC2:1

Thanks!

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

by the following lines you, you have a toptalker installed

perfresourceshow --eeRes
Fabric Mode TT is already present and EE monitor cannot coexsist

perf.ToptalkerEnabledonC2:1

to remove it (and now we assume that you are not using virtual fabrics):

perfttmon –-delete fabricmode

Contributor

To the best of my knowledge we are not using virtual fabrics but is there a sure way to tell?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Brocade Moderator

fosconfig --show will display if VF is enabled or not. If VF is enabled, then you need to check all logical switch (setcontext <fid>) and try to remove TT from them.

Contributor

I ran the following commands on 3/31.

fosconfig --show
DSTSAN-2499-4:FID128:admin> fosconfig --show
FC Routing service:             disabled
Virtual Fabric:                 enabled
Ethernet Switch Service:        disabled

fmmonitor --show
DSTSAN-2499-4:FID128:admin> fmmonitor --show
          FRAME TYPE    BIT PATTERN
-----------------------------------------------------------------
                scsi    12,0xFF,0x08;
            scsiread    12,0xFF,0x08;4,0xFF,0x06;40,0xFF,0x08,0x28;
           scsiwrite    12,0xFF,0x08;4,0xFF,0x06;40,0xFF,0x0A,0x2A;
              scsirw    12,0xFF,0x08;4,0xFF,0x06;40,0xFF,0x08,0x28,0x0A,0x2A;
        scsi2reserve    12,0xFF,0x08;4,0xFF,0x06;40,0xFF,0x16,0x56;
        scsi3reserve    12,0xFF,0x08;4,0xFF,0x06;40,0xFF,0x5F;41,0xFF,0x01
                  ip    12,0xFF,0x05;
                abts    4,0xFF,0x81;12,0xFF,0x0;
               baacc    4,0xFF,0x84;12,0xFF,0x00;

fmmonitor --show -all
DSTSAN-2499-4:FID128:admin> fmmonitor --show -all
Slot|Port|Frame Type     |Count               |HIGH Thres|Actions             |T                                                                                                                     IMEBASE  |CFG
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                                                     ---------------
   -|   -|scsi           |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|scsiread       |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|scsiwrite      |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|scsirw         |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|scsi2reserve   |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|scsi3reserve   |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|ip             |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|abts           |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|baacc          |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A      

fosexec --fid all -cmd "fmmonitor --show"
DSTSAN-2499-4:FID128:admin> fosexec --fid all -cmd "fmmonitor --show"

---------------------------------------------------

"fmmonitor" on FID 128:

FRAME TYPE    BIT PATTERN
-----------------------------------------------------------------
                scsi    12,0xFF,0x08;
            scsiread    12,0xFF,0x08;4,0xFF,0x06;40,0xFF,0x08,0x28;
           scsiwrite    12,0xFF,0x08;4,0xFF,0x06;40,0xFF,0x0A,0x2A;
              scsirw    12,0xFF,0x08;4,0xFF,0x06;40,0xFF,0x08,0x28,0x0A,0x2A;
        scsi2reserve    12,0xFF,0x08;4,0xFF,0x06;40,0xFF,0x16,0x56;
        scsi3reserve    12,0xFF,0x08;4,0xFF,0x06;40,0xFF,0x5F;41,0xFF,0x01
                  ip    12,0xFF,0x05;
                abts    4,0xFF,0x81;12,0xFF,0x0;
               baacc    4,0xFF,0x84;12,0xFF,0x00;

fosexec --fid all -cmd "fmmonitor --show -all"
DSTSAN-2499-4:FID128:admin> fosexec --fid all -cmd  "fmmonitor --show -all"

---------------------------------------------------

"fmmonitor" on FID 128:

Slot|Port|Frame Type     |Count               |HIGH Thres|Actions             |T                                                                                                                     IMEBASE  |CFG
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                                                     ---------------
   -|   -|scsi           |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|scsiread       |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|scsiwrite      |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|scsirw         |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|scsi2reserve   |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|scsi3reserve   |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|ip             |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|abts           |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
   -|   -|baacc          |N/A                 |N/A       |N/A                 |N                                                                                                                     /A       |N/A
           |N

We then ran the following commands:

DSTSAN-2499-4:FID128:admin> perfttmon --delete -all
TT Monitor is not present

DSTSAN-2499-4:FID128:admin> perfdeleemonitor
Usage: perfDelEEMonitor [SlotNumber/]PortNumber [monitorId]

So when trying to do the code upgrade, the operating system seemed to think a monitor
was running.  But based on the above commands, it didn't look like any
monitors were running.

Ran the perfresourceshow --eeRes  command.
Result was: Fabric Mode TT is already present and EE mnonitor cannot coexist

Ran the perfresourceshow --portttRes command.
Result was:  Fabric Mode TT is already present and port level TT cannot coexist
with mode TT

Ran perfResourceShow --fabmodeRes command.
Result was:
Maximum - 1
Installed - 1
Available - 0

Ran perfttmon --delete fabricmode command.
Result was: Deleting Fabric Mode Toptalker failed on domain(s) [1 22 ]

Ran perfResourceShow --fabmodeRes command again.
Result was:
Maximum - 1
INstalled - 0
Available - 1

This command deleted the Fabric Mode Top Talker.

Once this was done I was able to upgrade successfully to 7.4.1d.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.