Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Trunking ISL's between a 7420 router and 200E

I am trying to trunk my existing ISL's between a 7420 and a 200E.  The licenses are showing as installed on both and the ISL's are both showing data flow.

The trunkshow command on the 200E responds with there are no trunking links.  There is no equivalent command on the 7420.  A trunkset command returns a trunking enabled.  I have both lines on the 7420 in the second Quartet and the two on the 200E in the last quartet on that switch.

External Moderator

Re: Trunking ISL's between a 7420 router and 200E

hi drewbell,

is a long time i don't work whit the AP7420.... and it is very hard to config.

You must make sure, the AP7420 must have the correct XPathOS to operate correct whit FabOS. v7.4.1 is needed whit FabOS 6.x.x

The Trunking port on AP side must be configure correct, and the ISL Port's Trunking must have the correct Domain ID.

My experience, unplug the Cable beetwen the New ISL trunk you want to configure and the Parent Switch in this case 200E, and plug first after the Trunk is configured, because te AP7420 work as default as front_domain.

Stop all the Port's "portstop" you want to config for the trunk group, and start first "portstart" after the trunk is configured. 

PID Formate in the AP7420 must be set correct and all Switches in the Fabric must use the same PID format, or the fabric will segment.

Check and werify the Fabric connectivity in the Name Server tab or whit the command "nsshow".

Do "nsallshow" and "switchshow" on the AP to prove operation of the port

Verify the Fabric Connectivity whit the command "fabricshow"

TechHelp24
External Moderator

i found in my Museum a Design Guide for the AP7420, is attached here.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

This helps a lot!  It appears to me that the way the router handles trunked lines to switches is significantly different then the way they are handled switch to switch. Two ISL's appeared to load balance almost instantly but when I would go to the switch and try to run the truning commands or go through the web tools to look at the trunking groups there appeared appeared as it would if the trunks existed between switches ( ie there is no trunking group that shows up on the switch side ).  I have been actively monitoring the lines with a trial version of DCFM ( an incredible tool in my mind ).  When I was researching the trunking issue I came across the following refering to DCFM:

DCFM is available in two versions: DCFM Professional, an application bundled with Brocade
switches that is ideally suited for small and medium size businesses that need a light-weight

management product to manage their smaller fabrics (one physical fabric at a time, up to 1,000

ports); and DCFM Enterprise, that is designed for enterprise ...

When they mention that it is "bundled" with the switches are the indicating that purchasers of brocade switches own the license to run it?  If so...  where could I find the required info on attaining the license key?

Thanks again for all your help!!

Drew

External Moderator

Professional ( no license key is requiered ) is for Free and bundled whit a new switch, and for Free as download

Since 10.3.0 is a Professional Plus Release available

For the Prof. Plus release you need to purchase a licencse.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Little confusion.... I downloaded and it asked if I wanted to install as demo or if I had a license key.. it is giving me trial period in days at the bottome of the screen.  Version is:  DCFM Pro Plus 10.3.0 build 178

External Moderator

Again, ttal of 3 Different version are available

1) Professional

2) Professional Plus

3 Enterprise

For Plus and Enterprise, you need to purchased a License.

Professional is for free, no license is required to purchased and no License is requiered by the Installation procedure, this release is bundled for free whit a new switch.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.