Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

The port with LTO5 tape library attached is showing as a L-Port and the tape drive is not visible

Hi,

I have a Brocade 300 SAN switch where I have zoned it in such a way that attached tape library and backup media server are in a one single zone.

zone:  sw01_zone05_fc_tape_bkp_svr
                fc_tape; bkp_svr_s2_p1

In the switchshow output, the port with tape library attached is showing as a L-Port where as all the other ports including ports with backup media server attached are shwoing as F-Port.

Regardless of the port type, my biggest question is that the tape library is not being visible to backup media server. Can you kinldy suggest a solution for this? and What could be the reason for tape library is not being visible to backup media server?

Thanks you in advanced

Regular Contributor

Re: The port with LTO5 tape library attached is showing as a L-Port and the tape drive is not visibl

L-port (actually FL_port) indicates the tapelibrary and switch finished the link initialization in the early stages.

You can force the switch to no accept (F)L_ports by locking it a G port.

G_port is the state after the decision making about FL_port or not.

Locking the port down portcfggport {[slot]#/portnumber#} mode

The mode is either 1 or 0 whee 1 is Gport locked and 0 is not locked.

Mind you if the library only speaks L port this will not work

Visitor

Re: The port with LTO5 tape library attached is showing as a L-Port and the tape drive is not visibl

Some older tapedrives/libraries are only capable of Loop-connection (FCAL). Your FCswitch supports this mode too.

-

Check if tapedrive logs ionto switch, which speed, stable/flapping?

Are switch-port-settings supporting demanded speed and mode?

Is HBA able to connect other devices on SAN?

If not check settings of fcsw/hba. Start with allow any value,

then when connectivity is ok, narrow to your needs. :-)

Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips and suggestions that you gave. However, I was able to find out the solution by myself Smiley Happy There was nothing wrong from the SAN switch. It was actually the tape library causing the problem.

Once "FC devices" settings in the tape library management was changed (port type as a N-Port instead of default L-Port), the respective switch port for the device was changed to F-Port from 'public loop' and library was visible from backup media server. I additionally fixed the seep to 8Gbps in tape library HBA since I usually in prefer of fixing speed settings rather keep them in auto negotiate mode.

Best regards,
Srangama

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.