Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Switch refuses to go into Subordinate Mode

Hi all,

I have a brocade module 4424 and i've have it ISL'd... however it refuses to take on the role of subordinate.

The domain ID is not the lowest.  I have it connected to to other switches

switch 1 - Domain ID = 200 (principal)

switch 2 - Domain ID = 201 (subordinate... working)

switch 3 - Domain ID = 202 (supposed to be subordinate but keeps coming up as principal) I've checked the mode and fabricprincipal state is = disabled.

I'm getting confused. I've even tried changing the ID and reconfiguring the switch... nothing.

Any suggestions? 

External Moderator

Re: Switch refuses to go into Subordinate Mode

What is the reason you have set this HIGH DID ? The Error is Caused by the DID Value.

Since - I think ! - you are not in InteropMode,  see this DOC, and you find the answer

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Not sure that this will fix my problem because I have the same setup in another site and it works.

Also, in this particular site I have another core FC switch and it's set up like this

switch1 - DID = 100 (Principal

switch2 - DID = 101 (subordinate... working)

switch3 - DID = 102 (subordinate... working)

In fact here is a breakdown of the site config:

Core Switches:    A Fabric   &   B Fabric                                 

Brocade 5100 Primary switch1 - DID = 100 (Principal)                   >             Brocade 5100 Primary switch2 - DID = 200 (Principal)

ISL'd

Brocade 5424 switch2 - DID = 101 (subordinate... working)            >             Brocade 5424 switch2 - DID = 201 (subordinate... working)

Brocade 4424 switch3 - DID = 102 (subordinate... working)            >             Brocade 4424 switch3 - DID = 202 (NOT WORKING) stays in primary state

The 5424 & 4424 are ISL'd to the 5100's.  This same setup exists at another site and works fine.

Just can't figure out why that last switch (switch3) isn't taking it's proper role as a subordinate.

External Moderator

In this Fabric you have set the DID as

switch 1 - Domain ID = 200

switch 2 - Domain ID = 201

switch 3 - Domain ID = 202

In the other working Fabric you are by DID 100, 101 and 102 also in range to/lowest as 127

by DID 200 you are definitively in Offset Mode also IM3

Another Princip to Set correct Switch as Principal and Subordinate is the DID and WWN Number.

Casually the Lowest WWN become as Principal, but you can force as Subordinate. 

BTW, in the praxis don't make sense to set such HIGH DID by Small Fabric.

TechHelp24
Regular Contributor

Hi Fitzpatrick,

how are Principal Switch Selection priorities assigned?

Could you post the output of the following command from all three switches in your 2xx range:

# configshow|grep principalSwSelMode

There is a lot of confusion about principal switch selection mechanics.

New Contributor

hi, experience the same thing. both switch already has different domain ID. any clue what should I do?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.