Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Switch configurations

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding the san switch configuration in the setup as shown in the picture below.

The top of the picture is a new configuration which is beïng added to the current configuration (lower part).

Both sites have a storage device which need to be able to do block level replication to each other. therefore they should be able to communicate with each other.

The new configuration is already configured and running stand-alone without the connections to the other site (current configuration).

What is the best way to connect the switches (sites) to each other ?

As shown in the picture the Fabric ID's of the current switches is equal and the Fabric Domain differs.

How should I configure the switches of the new configuration ?

If I give them the same Fabric ID they will and different Fabric Domain's they join (should they ?) the running fabric and can communicate with each other, but is this the best practise ?

What happens if there is a problem in the fabric, the new configuration will also be affected, right ? is there any other way to let them work together ?

If I should join the 2 new switches to the current fabric how do I merge the zoning information ?

san infra.png

Valued Contributor

Re: Switch configurations

Hi,

In response to your queries:

What is the best way to connect the switches (sites) to each other ?

I assume that currently you have two independent environments, each one made up of two fabrics, with one switch each.

As per your diagram, the four switchs should merge into a single fabric which I do not consider a good practice.

I would keep two isolated fabrics, each one made up of two switchs (one new and one old).

Depending on the distance you should use a different technology, such as xWDM, FCIP. If you only want them to communicate in order to enable replication between the two storage arrays, then FCR  would be a good election as well.

As shown in the picture the Fabric ID's of the current switches is equal and the Fabric Domain differs.

How should I configure the switches of the new configuration ?

In order to be able in position to merge two switchs with VF enabled, Fabric IDs have to be the same in both switchs, otherwise the ISL will segment.

If I give them the same Fabric ID they will and different Fabric Domain's they join (should they ?) the running fabric and can communicate with each other, but is this the best practise ?

Right, Fabric ID has to be the same.

Effective zoning has to be exactly the same in order to merge the switchs into a single fabirc.

What happens if there is a problem in the fabric, the new configuration will also be affected, right ? is there any other way to let them work together ?

Once the switchs merge, there would be an only configuration, the same in both switchs of  the fabric.

In order to make them commuticate without merging the fabric, FCR would be the best option (Take a look at the FOS Administrator guide about how to configure).

If I should join the 2 new switches to the current fabric how do I merge the zoning information ?

manually or via BNA/DCFM. but I reckon that there is no automatic way to merge them.

Kind regards,

Felipon

New Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your explanation.

As you mentioned I agree with you to have two Fabrics and within each fabric one old and one new switch.

so the cabling will be a little bit different, there will no cross connections between the switches, only 2 connections between both fabrics (1 old and 1 new switch)

What about the distance ? I am using 10 km. sfp's but the distance will be less then 1 km.

I understand I need to make use of VF, what will be the impact when enabling VF on the current switches ? Will there be an outage for a while or doesn't it affect the running configuration ?

Is there any reconfiguration needed on the current switches after enabling VF ? I can imagine that the change has impact on the zoning of the switches ?

So I will backup the configuration of the new switches, add them to the fabric and add the zone configuration again.

At last I will have to do the zoning for both Storage environments in order to setup replication over FCP.

Thanks again.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

What about the distance ? I am using 10 km. sfp's but the distance will be less then 1 km.

If the Rx Power received by the SFPs is out of the supported range, you will have to use an attenuator. If the power is within the supported range, there would be no problem.

I understand I need to make use of VF, what will be the impact when enabling VF on the current switches ? Will there be an outage for a while or doesn't it affect the running configuration ?

when enabling VF, the switch reboots, so it is a disruptive operative.

Is there any reconfiguration needed on the current switches after enabling VF ? I can imagine that the change has impact on the zoning of the switches ?

If VF is not enabled, when you enable it the zoning config persists afterwards.

On the other hand, if you have VF enabled in the old switchs and VF is not enabled in the new ones, it is not mandatory to enable VF. You could connect a VF-enabled switch to a VF-non-enabled switch.

Rgds,

Felipon

New Contributor

VF is not enabled on any switch yet, so I need to enable it on the current switches right ?

or would enabling it on the new ones be sufficient ?

Is VF the way to go ? or is the a better option to use ?

Frequent Contributor

Reading back in the thread I haven't been able to find a reason why you want to achieve the array replication and use virtual fabrics. If you say VF is not enabled and you don't have any business reasons to use VF I would say just leave it off.

The only thing you have to do is set a domain ID and hook them up. No problem.

Just use zoning and you should be OK to go. It doesn't look a complicated environment to me.

Cheers

Erwin

Valued Contributor

Hi

Erwin is right, If you're currently not using VF, there is no need to configure it.

Rgds

New Contributor

Ok, clear.

I will configure 2 fabrics, with one switch of each site in it.

The Fabric ID's will be the same and the Fabric Domain's will differ.

After that there is only some zoning to configure right ?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.