Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A
joe.bandura

Sphereon 4500 firmware upgrade

I have a couple of old McData Sphereon 4500 switches in use that were purchased second hand some time ago. They have all 24 ports spun up and currently have firmware version 09.01.00 50 installed. I have 2 questions I am trying to find the answers too...

1) The latest firmware I found for download is for a HP re-branded McData Sphereon 4500 on HP's website. I found the link to the firmware in a thread on these forums. Will upgrading the switches using this firmware work? If so, I assume I just upgrade using the release notes starting with the earliest supported and working up to the most recent one? In this case upgrade starting with 09.06.02 -> 09.08.03 -> 09.09.09? This is the link to the firmware:  HP StorageWorks 2/24 Edge Switch Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

2) As these were purchased second hand, I don't have the original feature key for the additional 16 ports. Will upgrading the firmware (assuming I can) causes the feature key to get lost somehow? I have read other places that this may be a possibility and I don't want to upgrade if there is a chance of losing that functionality as most of the ports are in use.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Valued Contributor
TechHelp24

Re: Sphereon 4500 firmware upgrade

Joe,

to 1)

Download from HP url, is correct, and yes FW is the same as McDATA Native FW!

to 2)

In all the Years around +/- 14, I've made 2000 ? 3000 ? more ? FOS and FW Upgrade.... not sure.

--->>>> I have read other places that this may be a possibility and I don't want to upgrade if there is a chance of losing that functionality as most of the ports are in use.

I'm not sure why someone make such experience, however License will be lost only when you start Switch reset by factory default.

I have never lost any License by Upgrade, this is my experience.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.