Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Silkworm 3800 error

I recently aquired quite a few silkworm 3800's. Im in the process of testing them through the serial port, but when I plug in the network cable I get the following error:

Sample_AuthLevel: unknown security method = (Custom_Basic) mesg = (null)

This error keeps repeating until I unplug the network cable. The switch's are running 3.0.2.g, I've tried updating the firmware to 3.2.1c, but have been unsuccessful through explorer and telnet session.

Contributor

Re: Silkworm 3800 error

I've since been able to upgrade the switch to V3.2.1c, but the problem still persists

External Moderator

I know this error when a wrong JAVA rel. is installed.

Use any 1.5 release and try again.

TechHelp24
Contributor

The error occurs and is visable through the serial port (hyper terminal session) and through a telnet session. The error happens way before I attempt to access the gui, so its not Java related. This one has me stumped.

External Moderator

They open the Thread with

--->>>....but when I plug in the network cable I get the following error:

Now you say,

--->>> The error occurs and is visable through the serial port (hyper terminal session)
and through a telnet session.

--->>> The error happens way before I attempt to access the gui,....

check the error message from CLI, or delete some config when available.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Yes thats true. Im accessing the unit through a hyperterminal session, and when I physically plug in the network jack into the unit, the error appears. Im still not accessing it through the GUI at this point though, so no Java is involved. When I do an errshow, there is no error, and I have deleted the config, and defaulted the unit.

Contributor

In case your interested, here's the output

External Moderator

the o/p show error log as cleared, so i cannot see if any error was available before you delete it.

0x102bab60 (tShell): Mar 25 07:28:26
    INFO SYS-LOGCLRD, 4, Error log cleared

TechHelp24
Contributor

Thats just the point though.There were no log entries out of the ordinary. Since there were no unusual entires, I cleared the log, then inserted the jack (at which point the message began as you can see) then i disconnected the jack, and did an err show so you could see that the message generated no errors. The timestamp shows that the error log was cleared before the message. Very stange. Im sure I'll figure it out sonner or later.

Contributor

Problem solved. A seperate service on a host was trying to access the switch somehow, causing the error. 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.