Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Silkworm 2800 telnet/ssh connection refused

I have 4 Silkworm 2800 switches (Fabric OS v2.6.2) all on same subnet, and one of them is now refusing ssh and telnet connections. I do not even get a login prompt, using putty or otherwise. There is no firewall between me and the switches. Directly connecting a laptop with crossover cable to ethernet port yields no response either.

Otherwise this switch is healthy and pingable, and I can use http for basic admin purposes. I used the front panel to "close telnet" many times, but that doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas?

External Moderator

Re: Silkworm 2800 telnet/ssh connection refused

Hi bpsmith7,

set the NIC Card in they Laptop to 10 MBit and not auto and test the Login trough Telnet with a Standard console ( Ex. Windows Hyper Terminal )

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, that was somewhat helpful. It at least proved to me I'm still having the same problem--I used this method to direct connect to the other switches ok and get a login prompt. But for my troubled switch, I still get connection refused. I went through both the 2800 hardware manual looking at the menu layout, and looked at the front panel layout, and I cannot see anything for "enable/disable telnet" or anything else that remotely resembles the problem I'm having.

Does anyone have any clues about what can be done inside the menus on the front panel? Is it possible to be able to ping and use http on that IP, yet not be able telnet unless it was only because of some setting that is turned off on the menu? I mean, is there any other reason for this problem?

Thanks.

External Moderator

Hi,

--->>> Thanks, that was somewhat helpful.

--->>>.....and I cannot see anything for "enable/disable telnet" or anything....

any function trough the Front Panel like enable/disable telnet is not available.

Another way is ( little more work ) , the 2800 have a Internal COM Port due for maintenace, but you can use this.

Remove the Cover, connect a Serial Cable with he Internal Port, power switch On, and login into the switch trough the serial Port.

Test if this Procedure work, and inform.

BTW, casually the Telnet cannot be enable or disable, their problem is sure another.

Can you login trough the WebTools ? Is the Secure Fabric OS installed ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

We were able to use rlogin to get to our switch. So now the question remains--why is rlogin ok but not telnet/ssh? Is there any kind of Fabric OS command that deals with modifying telnet/ssh?

Thanks.

External Moderator

Hi,

->>>So now the question remainswhy....

I ask in my last answer, "Is the Secure Fabric OS installed ?"

--->>> Is there any kind of Fabric OS command that deals with modifying telnet/ssh?

Telnet cannot be disable.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

No, we don't have Secure Fabric OS. Looks as though we might be able run through the configure command again and play with telnet feature, but we have to disable our switch first. We won't be able to do that for about 2 weeks, so I'll post the results at that time. We might even decide to perform a Fabric OS upgrade at that time too. Thanks for trying to help, really appreciate it.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.